Using the motor home propane hookup for my Coleman portable grill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bob1553

I am purchasing a new motor home with an outdoor kitchen and a propane hookup.  What kind of adapter do I need for my Coleman portable grill that normally uses the green 1 lb. canisters.

A possible word of caution using propane from the 20 or 30 lb tanks.....I tried using a "Y" fitting from my 30 lb tanks on my Toy Hauler to supply propane to my Weber Q 1200.  It worked fine for several months, then slowly, the grill kept getting worse and worse and finally I couldn't get it to reach 300 degrees.  When new, I could fire it up and see 500+ degrees in about 5 minutes or less.  You could look at the flame height and it was like I had it on low-low...barely a flame.  After doing some research and reading, it seems that tank propane does have some small amount of oil in it to help keep the safety valve lubricated and eventually it ended up stopping up the regulator/control valve and I had to replace that unit....to the tune of 55-60 dollars.  I now just use the disposable cylinders.  YMMV

xrated said:
A possible word of caution using propane from the 20 or 30 lb tanks.....I tried using a "Y" fitting from my 30 lb tanks on my Toy Hauler to supply propane to my Weber Q 1200.  It worked fine for several months, then slowly, the grill kept getting worse and worse and finally I couldn't get it to reach 300 degrees.  When new, I could fire it up and see 500+ degrees in about 5 minutes or less.  You could look at the flame height and it was like I had it on low-low...barely a flame.  After doing some research and reading, it seems that tank propane does have some small amount of oil in it to help keep the safety valve lubricated and eventually it ended up stopping up the regulator/control valve and I had to replace that unit....to the tune of 55-60 dollars.  I now just use the disposable cylinders.  YMMV

might be something else... otherwise the coach heater, fridge and cook-top would behave the same way???

Thanks for all the comments.  I had noticed the T adapter with several ports but wasn't sure how to use it.  I guess I'll ask the technician during our orientation.  Hopefully, it will be a useful accessory.

taoshum said:
might be something else... otherwise the coach heater, fridge and cook-top would behave the same way???

Nope, the grill is the only device that gets fed directly from the 30 lb tanks.  Everything else....furnace, fridge, stove, water heater all come from the regulated line on the trailer.  The grill feed comes directly off of the tank and the grill has it's own regulator on it.  And, I would think that the orfices of the other devices have much larger openings than the grill burner does....it is tiny.

I have used a 20 pound tank for years on our Q220s , but I do occasionally have to take a pin and clean out the holes on the burner as they do seem to cake up from the drippings.

Ed

THe adapter you want has a few names. Extend-a-stay is the old Marshall Brass product.. I've not seen it in a while.  Stay-a-While is as far as I can tell and identical product.

IT goes between the tank outlet and the propane regulator on your RV and delivers HIGH PRESSURE propane to your coleman grill. Should come with 10 feet of hose. I'd recommend getting a 2nd 10 feet.

By the way.... I use it on MY coleman grill.

I have the Extend-A-Stay,, but I don't use it for the grill, just for running the coach off external bottles when we're hosting in one spot for a while.
I also have a hose that connects my Road Trip to another external 20lb bottle.  That way I can set the grill up wherever I want it and also use the small bottles if the need arises.  So far I've been grilling probably 5 nights a week and the 20lb bottle I've been using since the beginning of June is still over 1/2 full.

Back
Top Bottom