1993 Ford Falcon RV marine battery what kind?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dracowinged

Hi Everyone.  My husband and I recently bought a 1993 Ford Falcon RV, it is in good shape except it is missing the battery that goes in the back, for powering things like the TV, microwave, water pump for the sink and bath, etc.  What kind / size battery do we need?  How do we determine this?

Also, does this need a generator and if so what kind?

We plan to have the propane furnace and water inspected but thought I?d ask here if anyone can help us.

I'm not familiar with your particular model RV, but I would be very surprised if it ever had a battery that ran the microwave, unless it also has an inverter. That being said, which battery (or bank of batteries) you need will depend on how you intend to use it. If you will spend your time in campgrounds or RV parks that have electrical service. You will need a battery that is sufficient to turn on the lights or run the water pump occasionally when you are at a rest stop. For that a 12V deep cycle battery should suffice.

OTOH, if you are planning to camp off the grid, and especially if you have an inverter for use with 120V AC appliances, you will need more battery capacity and a generator or solar panels to recharge it. Many people use 6V golf cart batteries in series for this kind of use. I suggest you read The 12 V Side of Life, which will help you understand how your RV 12V DC and 120V AC electrical systems work together to power your coach.

Happy camping, and congratulations on your new to you rig.

Welcome!!!

The microwave does NOT use the batteries (or battery), it is plugged in to a wall socket and uses 120V AC the same as your home unit. It will function only when plugged in at a campground in most cases. Your fridge and water heater in most  cases, but not all, can usually run on either propane or 120V electric if plugged in and also uses 12V for the controls, (depends on makes and models!!). The furnace is strictly 12V and propane, and a hungry one at that.

As Punomatic says it will depend on your needs, but in any event, you should consider  one (or two) deep cycle discharge 12V batteries, depending on space available. Walmart sells them as RV-Marine batteries and they are as good as most of this type. It (or they) will be charged by a built-in  CONverter that works while plugged in and supplies additional 12V to power the house stuff. (Charging function should be checked out when installing the battery though).

Good reference to the "12V Side of Life" to help you understand your RV electrical systems.

Thank you guys so much!  We are going to be taking this RV on our first long trip in November, so I'm wanting to learn all that I can about it before we use it.  We had planned to stop at RV campgrounds on the way.  I had looked over the electrical system but I really wasn't sure how it all worked.  This and the helpful guide link you posted really helped a whole lot. 

This RV has an air conditioner unit / heater sitting on top of the roof, which I know can only be run off of the 120V electric (has to be plugged in).  We had considered getting a generator but again are totally not sure what to get. 

So here's what the RV has in it:

A small propane stove with 2 burners
A microwave beneath that
A small 'water closet' with a toilet, and a shower (really small)
Several standard electrical outlets and one 12V / cigarette lighter style outlet in the back
Lights and cabinets
A small propane furnace (hooked up near the water system)
A refrigerator.... which does run just fine when the RV electrical is plugged in to 120V.  Not sure if it runs off the propane
An air conditioner/heater unit that sits perched on the roof of the RV
2 beds in the back (twin size)
A larger sleeping area above the driver/front passenger area

It's a pretty neat vehicle, runs good, electrical looks like it's in good shape but the battery was missing.  It has a console / control panel in the back that indicates the water levels and other things.  The propane, we need to get it serviced and also get the water system looked at before our trip. 

Take a look under the hood and see if you also have a house battery there.

Ford Econoline vans have room for a second starting battery on the drivers side under the front hood.  This was used with the diesel engine, the gas engine only uses a single battery on the passenger side of the engine.  RV manufacturers often used the second battery space for a house battery.

Thanks.  This RV has a plastic bin, with venting, for a battery underneath one of the rear seats right near the inverter and fuses / switches.  So I am assuming the house battery goes there.  We're going to be picking up a battery in the next few weeks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom