Refrigerator not working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Honorbuilt22

Hi team!

I've just bought a second hand '94 Ford Econoline conversion. The refrigerator runs off propane and the generator, however it is currently not working at all.

Is there some way you think I could fix it myself? Are there common issues with RV fridges? It's a Domestic 2310 gas electric.

Do you think I should replace the fridge? And if so, what should I look for to find a fridge that is both propane and generator powered? Will I be able to install it myself easily without experience?

Thank you so much!

In the resource section (button above) you will find a troubleshooting guide to assist you.

As far as replacement, only you know what your needs are and will be, If you tell us how you plan to use it we MAY be able to help if you need to replace it.

Hi, thanks for your response.

Could you send me the link to the troubleshooting section? I can see a mass of information in the Resources section and tried a bunch of different avenues but couldn't find it.

As for our needs with the fridge, my partner and I are going traveling around the US for a few months and would like to be able to keep some food from spoiling along the way. The fridge unit isn't big but if we had to ensure it wasn't totally full, we could do that. We'll be living in the van full time though, so it would need to be running constantly. We currently have a fridge that runs on propane, shore power and/or the battery, and we'd love to keep it that way. Is there any more information about our needs that would assist you in providing suggestions?

Thanks very much!

If you cant get your unit running, I agree that you should replace it in kind. RV refrigerators work best when full, FYI.

Service manual- http://www.fourwh.com/NewDometicRefrigeratorManual.pdf

This manual may not be exactly for your unit but absorption fridges all work the same so basic troubleshooting is the same.

First thing, look in the outside vent (open it) and see if you see any yellow goo or powder around or on the cooling unit. If you do stop there and pull it out, it is shot and could cause a fire if you light it.

"Not working" covers a multitude of possible faults, some easy and some obscure.  Please explain what it does or doesn't do in more detail and maybe we can help. Also give the fridge make & model, cause there are differences. Some of the old ones even use a pilot light system rather than DSI.

Do you have 12v power (nothing on the fridge without at least a little 12vdc)?  Does the control panel light up?  Have you tried both LP gas and electric modes?  Does it get cool at all, or just nothing? Does the LP burner light? Etc.

Back
Top Bottom