City water inlet question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bewil

We blew the city water inlet check valve when winterizing our motorhome.  When we booked an appointment to have the city water inlet replaced, the repair place said we would have to remove all of the plumbing antifreeze.  Since then we have decided to replace this valve ourselves.  My question is, do we have to de-winterize to replace this valve or do we chance getting sprayed with antifreeze.

I can see no reason to drain the system fully. Maybe enough to get it the level in the system below the city fill, which on some units may be draining the whole system. But if you can do it quickly you may not lose much and if all the faucets are closed the vacuum in the pipes should hold back a good bit.

Why not just capture the antifreeze, and put it back in when you are completed. This way, it only drains what is needed, then pump it back in. I would assume just putting a bucket under the low point drain would bring it down enough. The only fluid above the valve would be in the lines to the sinks.

Just open the low point drains and let it drain. No reason to have it in there to start with.

The reason they wanted it removed is that when they are finished they will pressure test and they don't want to deal with the crap..  Just open the low point drains. let it drain and leave air in the lines.. You will still have to flush what remains next spring but that's why I don't use that method any more. Way easier to just blow the lined out.

you should be ok. And as I said. no need to replace it since if air freezes. You won't be worried about your RV.

Well, when you disconnect the city inlet, at least some water is going to run out. Whether it has antifreeze in it or not.  So you have to deal with it somehow, and letting it run out the low point drains is one easy way.  You can catch it and re-use it if you like, but John is right that losing some (replacing with air) is OK too.  However, if you want to hook to a hose to see if the new inlet is connected properly and not leaking, you will be running fresh water in and will have to re-winterize.

If you have antifreeze in the fresh or waste tanks, it will stay there. Leave them alone.

Back
Top Bottom