Adding extend-a-stay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PancakeBill

I have a 2000 Adventurer, want to add so I don't have to drive for propane.  Looking at the tank the valve is upper left side, at 9 o'clock position the nipple comes out into a 90 deg elbow and into the regulator.  From the regulator at the 3 o'clock position is the connector hose to the feed point for the system.  Looking at it all the fittings seem to be screwed in straight, without a union style fitting, pretty sure one of them has to be able to be detached. 

Seeing as how I am pretty far from any facility to fix an oh crap, or just to be able to get some brass fittings, I will ask the experts.  Have you done this?  Any images?  Seems most of these kits are in line after regulator.  I am assuming I can remove the hose out of the regulator, but there is a shroud around it making it difficult to get a wrench on it.

Amazon Prime says next Monday delivery.  for the kit.

The Extend-A-Stay goes between the tank service valve and the regulator. The service valve typically has a female POL connection that a male POL attached to the regulator screws into.  The POL connections are left-hand threaded.  With the service valve off, the regulator POL is unscrewed from the service valve, and the POL end of the Extend-A-Stay adapter screws into the service valve. The regulator's POL then screws into the adapter. If you post a photo of your tank setup, we can likely advise you of any modifications that might be needed in your particular situation.

Given the age of your coach, if the propane regulator is still original I would suggest changing it out while you are installing the extend-a-stay.  These propane regulators have a rubber diaphragm in them which is prone to cracking and leaking with age, so it is a good idea to replace them about every 10-12 years.  Be aware the regulators come with either vertical or horizontal vents, you will want to install it with the vent point down so water can drain out. This is the one I used when I replaced the propane regulator on my coach last year https://smile.amazon.com/Marshall-Excelsior-MEGR-295-Two-Stage-Regulator/dp/B00KTS0N9Q

Mine is not plumbed in with a POL.  It looks to be a 3/8" fitting, between regulator and the valve.  Looks original, doubt it would have been changed for any reason.  I'll post a pic, as soon as I remember how.

It's a pretty straight foward DIY job Bill, and Dutch summed up how to do it pretty well. When I added one to our tank, I used teflon tape on all the fittings, even though some say it isn't necessary, because the fittings are brass. Make sure the valve is off when you start disconnecting things, and be sure to leak-check everything with soapy water or some other bubbly agent when you're finished.

Kev

Bill, I looked at doing this early on after we bought the coach and in fact bought an adapter. I'd fitted one to our Rexhall here in the UK but I couldn't figure out how to fit it on the Winnie - it seemed that there wasn't room to do so on the existing fitment which a few folks agreed on at the time. This was odd as it's the OEM fitment on the tank. I gave up and sold the adapter. 

Dougie.

Well, as many things that have amazed me that willen=bago have built into this coach, this is #2 in the anachronistic things I have run into.  First was the radio in the dash not being a DIN mount, I easily fixed that one, and now the fittings on the propane tank.  Back when I was at Grand Canyon I had to add a external propane tank, and it was as described in the other replies.  This was on my Fleetwood a 97, which was also DIN fitted in the dash. 

I think what I will have to do is get the tank valve retrofitted to a new style valve with POL.  In the meantime, I have 10 days left here and 25% propane.  Plus a new propane tank full of propane. 

Might be able to pull the line from the supply fitting and put a regulator at the tank.  I would definitely like to be able to use an auxiliary tank when we get to our winter spot.

You know what they say about previous owners!  ;)

Just funny that there are so many advanced items, and a number of items that seem to be using up old stock.  The tank was a real surprise, I think there is a way around it, but can't try anything until I can get to a service facility.

PancakeBill said:
You know what they say about previous owners!  ;)

No, but in this case, ignorance is bliss.

[quote author=PancakeBill]
Just funny that there are so many advanced items, and a number of items that seem to be using up old stock.  The tank was a real surprise, I think there is a way around it, but can't try anything until I can get to a service facility.[/quote]

It was long gone from my mind as it was probably 2012 when I looked at an extend-a-stay but was perplexed and gave up. It really didn't resemble anyone else's tank arrangements at the time.

Dougie.

PancakeBill said:
There is a shutoff, but it is not a POL valve.  It looks to be a 3/8" threaded fitting.

Yep, that's definitely a strange setup then. The POL fittings on the Extend-A-Stay are threaded into the adapter body, so it should be possible to remove them and use standard fittings to plumb the adapter in. From memory, I think the POL fittings are 1/4" NPT, but it's pouring rain right now, so I'm not going to go out and look.  ;)

I sent in a question to Winnebago Industries, hoping they will have some answers for me.  Hope I can get a POL to whatever thread is on the valve.  This winter, after some getting there travel, we will be in one spot for a bit, so adding aux tank is something we really would like to do.

Here's a website that shows about every conceivable LP fitting and adapter. Maybe  you can figure what you have and what you need based on the descriptions there:

https://www.salspropaneinc.com/products/valves.aspx

Your tank should have some type of standard ASME outlet valve. Some have built-in pressure relief while others may use a separate relief valve and I think there are various outlet sizes.  You can surely find fittings that will let you plumb an Extend-A-Stay style Tee and a new regulator to the existing gas line.  There is nothing difficult about the plumbing task.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
You can surely find fittings that will let you plumb an Extend-A-Stay style Tee and a new regulator to the existing gas line.  There is nothing difficult about the plumbing task.

That's what I said Gary, but what's fitted just doesn't seem to make it possible due to lack of pipe length to tee into.

Dougie.

Smacking head now, turns out it is a POL out of the tank, was able to fit 20lb bottle in 2 minutes.  as Emily Latelle used to say, 'Never Mind'...

However, while now getting into what is actually there I think I can see how to get done what O wanted too.

since the fitting somehow didn't look like POL yesterday, I was trying to loosen in wrong direction.  this morning with a different mindset, it was a snap to at least conserve what is in the tank and just use the 20lb'er.  Have to totally disconnect but it is workin g.

Back
Top Bottom