Replacing an Atwood GC6AA-9E with a GCAA-10E

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dabrooks

My friend has an older trailer with a GC6AA-9e water heater which is no longer available. It looks like the GC6AA10e is the best replacement but I notice the wiring is different. The 10e has a circuit board that is controlled by the electric/gas off-on switch. The 9e is only controlled by a gas off-on switch and the electric is run right from the electric panel and you use the circuit breaker to turn the electric off and on. Should there be any problem wiring the 120 right to the 10e like it is on the 9e ?

Thank you Gary. I thought that I needed to wire the 120 volt straight but I wanted to be sure.

Swapped out the water heater yesterday. The new heater came with a dual switch. The old switch location made it east to run a 12 volt wire to the electric side of the switch so all went well. All of the other wires needed were there.

without pics, it didn't happen!  ;D

Glad you got it swapped out without hassling with the wiring. :))

I just wired the electric selector line to +12 volts so the circuit board keeps the electric element active and it functions just like my old water heater using the existing switches and wiring.  The existing gas switch controls the gas burner, the external 120 volt electric switch controls the electric element.

The only difference is the light bulb inside the 12 volt switch is now a pilot light indicating the water heater is on, not that the flame has failed. That's OK because I can hear the flame inside the RV.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom