Question about trailer hitches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeKan

I'm thinking about buying a TT that weighs around 3300lbs. My tow vehicle is a 2011 1/2 Chevy Silverado 4 x 4. I'm fairly confident it should pull it okay, but I don't know if I can pull it with a simple ball and receiver hitch? What do you all think? Will I need sway bars? I do have the factory tow package too. The owner of the trailer I'm thinking about buying pulls it with a F350 and says he doesn't use a sway bar.
Thanks for any help,
Joe

You are likely confusing Weight distribution (WD) spring bars with sway control devices, two entirely different things.  You need WD if the trailer tongue weight exceeds the truck/hitch weight carrying capacity.  Check your trucks hitch receiver for two weight ratings, weight CARRYING and Weight DISTRIBUTING.  Odds are your truck can carry at least 500 lbs on the hitch, though.

Trailer tongue weigh must be at least 10% of the loaded trailer weight, so that 3300 lbs trailer will put about 350-400 lbs on the hitch ball.  Make sure that is the loaded weight, though. Not the dry (UVW) weight.  If you haven't obtained a scaled weight yet, use the trailer GVWR as the estimated weight and take 10% of that as the tongue weight on the hitch ball.

Back
Top Bottom