One person, towing a boat, one week trips. Suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elkins45

As the title says, I’m interesting in some sort of RV to live in on fishing trips. I need to be able to tow a 17ft aluminum boat. I don’t really need a lot of luxury: bed, heat and a/c are most important. It will just be me. I imagine I will be using equipped campgrounds and not doing a lot of boondocking.

Truck camper? Small B or C? What’s the smallest self-contained RV that will tow my 1500lb boat?

Assuming you need to back your boat trailer down various ramps to offload and reload your boat onto the trailer, how desirable/necessary would you consider 4 wheel drive to be in order to handle the kind of spots you normally go to?  I've seen some pretty steep, slick ramps in some places.

If 4wd is desirable then a truck camper is the only way to go.  If 4wd isn't necessary, then a class B or C would do.

How often do you go on these trips?  How useful would it be for you to own a pick up, since the truck camper can be taken off when not needed, freeing the truck for other uses?  I suppose a class B could be used for ordinary driving around town, if necessary.  A class C much less so.

For backing the boat trailer down ramps and parking in typical launching areas, I would want a smaller rig with good rear view capability. Many are not real "big rig" friendly, though that depends on where you go to fish.  That argues for a modest size truck camper, Class B or maybe a small C.  However, if you equip the coach with quality rear & maybe side view cameras, a skilled driver can cope with a lot of situations. Upgraded towing mirrors might help too (the ones usually used on pick-ups towing trailers).

It does depend on where you plan to go. We towed a 20 foot boat behind a 30 foot motorhome for a number of years, launching in rivers and lakes, some with narrow launch ramps, and some at an acute angle to the approach. Visibility was never an issue (side mirrors were adequate), although the 'acute angle' launches required a spotter just in case. A rear camera would have been a boon, but not essential. We didn't fail to go/launch anywhere friends with a class C went. I don't recall not finding a place to overnight, nor finding parking while on the water.

OTOH there were times I lusted for a truck camper to be able to fish in small remote lakes in, for example, the Sierras. Typically these were in forests with little or no room to maneuver the class A. My other half couldn't/wouldn't deal with the confined quarters of a truck camper, but had I been alone that's the way I would have gone. Occasionally you'll experience a launch ramp providing poor traction, or no launch ramp at all (e.g. launching from a beach or sloping bank on a small lake), and 4WD would be very beneficial if not essential.

I'd check weight/towing ratings of whatever you buy, but a 1500lb boat and it's trailer will unlikely be an issue for any of the vehicles/RVs mentioned in this topic.

With a pick up truck, you can usually find a front receiver hitch that can be mounted to it.  Some people find it easier to maneuver a boat trailer hooked to the front of the truck when dealing with boat ramps.

I've never found the need for a front mounted hitch. The only advantage I see is the ability to 'see' small movements of the boat/trailer while going down a ramp. Some folks mount a front hitch to a motorhome and, in that case, they merely exaggerate sideways movement of the trailer compared with the long 'overhang' behind the rear axle of the motorhome.

I've towed/backed boats and other things for near 60 years and the only time I found it challenging was when I could not see how the trailer was reacting to my steering.

Interestingly, when we towed a boat with a motorhome, we'd get home after a weekend afloat, drop the trailer and back it into the side yard with our Ford Bronco. That short wheelbase and short distance from the rear axle to the trailer hitch (on the Bronco) made it much harder to control the trailer (i.e. to get it to go where I wanted).

I camp and fish all the time. I have 8 Crappie tournaments a year, plus a variety of other fishing events (Fishing for Heroes), and hunting in the winter. I looked at every option to bring a camper and boat.

Class A, Class C, and bed campers require you to break camp every time you launch and retrieve the boat. I fish morning and evening and hang around camp during the heat of the day. I didn't like the idea of breaking camp twice a day.

Driving a toyhauler and carrying a quad in the garage is an option. use the quad to move teh boat around, however that won't work for any lakes where you have to drive outside of the campground.

Putting a boat carrier on the truck is an option, and towing a travel trailer works, however you need to consider the weight of the boat and trailer and suptract taht from your carrying capacity, are you still under the trucks limits.

There is always a trailer that can haul both the boat and a jeep, tow it behind a Class A or Class C. Bust out the rich uncle wallet!!!

Towing your boat behind a Travel Trailer is an option in some states and illegal in others. Some states require the first trailer to be a 5th wheel.

Which leads me to what I choose, a short 5th wheel. Illinois has a length limit of 60'. More on that later. An extended cab truck with a standard bed is about 19.25' long. My boat trailer is 18.5' long, leaves about a 26' 5th wheel, Very few options. Illinois and one other state are 60'. Most are 65' which makes finding a 5th wheel easier. More options.

Illinois is 60' tip to tail. However, Class I and ClassII roads are unlimited length. These are your interstates and state highways, some county roads. Most of the township roads and most cities are 60'. However there is a 5 mile grace for towing to your destination, to get gas, and to your campers storage location.

I spent 2 years researching the right 5th wheel, truck combination.
F150 Supercab with standard bed (6.5'). I had a wieght issue to monitor as well becasue its a 1/2.
KZ Sportsmen 231RK 5th wheel is 25.4' long (4' overhangs into the bed of the truck).
Sylvan 16' Back Troller Select deep v fishing boat. Trailer/boat length is 18.5'.
I'm just shy of 60' and about 1,00 pounds under CGVWR, and about 200 pounds under truck carrying capacity.

Camper is the perfect size for 1 or 2 people. Has all the amendities much larger units have. Plus a heated under belly so teh tanks won't freeze in deer hunting camp, or for those early ice off fishing trips, or late fall fishing trips.

Yes, I am triple towing to the lake. Once there I drop the boat, back teh camper into my site, retrieve teh boat and back it into teh site and am all set for teh weekend. Had the combination out 3 times since August when i bought the camper. Works great, and I have been stopped at least a couple times in the campground by others looking to do the same thing.
5th wheels used to be shorter, until bout 2008 or so, then they started to get long, reallly long.... You can find a used one that will work as well. I never found a used KZ Sportsmen 231rk nd I looked for over 8 months.

Triple towing is not available to all as relatively few states permit it. Check YOUR state rules.... and the rules of the states you wish to travel in.

http://www.doityourselfrv.com/rv-triple-towing-laws/

Alfa38User said:
Triple towing is not available to all as relatively few states permit it. Check YOUR state rules.... and the rules of the states you wish to travel in.

http://www.doityourselfrv.com/rv-triple-towing-laws/

Triple towing is not legal on the East and West Coasts. Everything in between each coast is legal and common.

Attachments

• Triple Towing.png
    Triple Towing.png
    88.8 KB · Views: 1
I don’t think triple towing is within my comfort zone even if it were legal in the states I want to visit.

I forgot to mention that I already own a 1/2 ton truck. I had a crazy idea to buy an enclosed cargo trailer and shove the boat/trailer into it. Arrive at the destination, drop the trailer, drag out and launch the boat, then live in the box. I’m not sure how workable that would be.

Elkins45 said:
I forgot to mention that I already own a 1/2 ton truck. I had a crazy idea to buy an enclosed cargo trailer and shove the boat/trailer into it. Arrive at the destination, drop the trailer, drag out and launch the boat, then live in the box. I?m not sure how workable that would be.

You still have to break camp to get boat out of water.  More of a pain than if you had a class C or B. 

How far away are these fishing trips?  and what type of budget are you trying to stay around?

How far away are these fishing trips?  and what type of budget are you trying to stay around

Around 8-14 hours from home. Northern KY to Alabama, Georgia or Florida. I?m not certain on a budget, but of course cheaper is always better. Since I?m retired there?s always the option of buying a used clunker and paying with sweat equity to get it up to speed.

Smaller is better. My wife wants no part of my fishing trips and all my friends are motel people.

Elkins45 said:
I don?t think triple towing is within my comfort zone even if it were legal in the states I want to visit.

I forgot to mention that I already own a 1/2 ton truck. I had a crazy idea to buy an enclosed cargo trailer and shove the boat/trailer into it. Arrive at the destination, drop the trailer, drag out and launch the boat, then live in the box. I?m not sure how workable that would be.

You could mount a winch in the front of the cargo trailer, and that would let you pull the boat trailer IN to the cargo trailer, but I'm not sure how you would get it OUT.
There is a VERY active group of people who mod and convert cargo trailers over on the Teardrops and Tiny Travel Trailer forum.  You could get some ideas there:

http://www.tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f=42&sid=cf5784692ee0f28e97ac835ac794ce38

If you are going to stay in one place for a week, as opposed to moving around a lot, it is possible to drop a truck camper off the truck so you didn't have to break camp.  Be aware that not all truck campers have a floor that is strong enough to do that, and I have heard that not all campgrounds permit it, so that is something you would need to look into.

Capri makes a very nice, light camper that half tons can handle.

https://capricamper.com/

You could mount a winch in the front of the cargo trailer, and that would let you pull the boat trailer IN to the cargo trailer, but I'm not sure how you would get it OUT.

My idiotic vision involved a trailer with a ramp door, like a carhauler. Winch the boat trailer in backwards. On site I would drop and chock the trailer, then just back the truck up the ramp and hook it up to the boat. Not sure how that would work in practice.

There is a VERY active group of people who mod and convert cargo trailers over on the Teardrops and Tiny Travel Trailer forum.  You could get some ideas there

This is news to me. I will check it out, thanks.

I forgot to add that I generally try to secure a lakeside campsite so I only have to launch the boat once and trailer it once per trip.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom