Removing hot water heater help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NekoGeo

The hwh in my trailer is toast. I have a tankless, on demand one that is in the bathroom.
What I want to do is take out the old, totally rotten, rusted out hwh.
I found a few vids and articles but none of them say what to do with the propane line.
Is there a cap or such to seal it? I definitely don't want it piping propane when I put the propane tank back in and open it up.
Any suggestions or instructions or sites you can give would be greatly appreciated!

It probably will be hard to find a site, I would guess not many people eliminate it.  If your not going to use it, flip the bypass valves and forget about it.  If you feel the need to remove it, I certainly would cap off the propane, water as well.  Just take the old HWH connection to the hardware store, they will hook you up with the correct size cap.  Keep in mind, if/when you go to sell, someone else might prefer the HWH.

Yes there are caps for almost any kind of fitting.

Not sure what you have at your heater, but here is a common Flare pipe cap suitable for many LP gas lines.

https://www.zoro.com/parker-cap-brass-comp-38in-6blp6-b-gr/i/G0486421/feature-product

THere is indeed a cap or plug (Plug I think you will need) most any hardware will have it. I put a new tank on my Atwood. Tons of fun. and yes I plugged the line while I had the unit out. Though I did not turn on propane till I was done.

Seems I have an old version of a hot water heater. Doh. And a really rusted out one at that.

1. I can't find the drain on the HTH.

2. Most the advice and vids show a toggle on the bypass btwn the hot and cold. This one doesn't have it. Sooo it doesn't matter for this situation where I am removing it and not replacing it with another HTH?

3.  I cannot for the life of me figure how to get this out. I've removed the screws outside but can't find any inside, and it still won't budge. What am I missing? suggestions?

Attachments

• hwh01.jpg
    hwh01.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 48
  • hwh03.jpg
    hwh03.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 48
  • hwh04.jpg
    hwh04.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 43
Wowzee, Thanks for the Pics, never seen anything like it  :eek:

Could there be a plug going into the tank from the underside?

Removal, got me there too. If you remove, what will you do with the hole in the side, do you want the storage?

I still would remove inlet and outlet water lines, connect them together, and be done.  Drill a hole from the underside up into the tank to drain.  ::)

I second the GUESS that the drain is behind the control knob or gas line.

Will the tank move if you disconnect the water lines on the inside and the gas line on the front?
Are there any fittings or screws on the bottom of the HWH?

Remember, do not force it.  Get a bigger hammer!  ;D

Couldn't get the propane nut off so cut the propane line and capped.
Everything is out! Water drain was behind the control knob but wouldn't loosen so I drilled through it.
There is about 12 by 12 dry rot under it so fixing that today.

Thanks all!!!! *super hugs*

Back
Top Bottom