Tiffin Allegro or Winnebago Vista LX?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rock-It

We are a family of 5 (3 kids) and have rented Trailers, Class C and Class A motorhomes.  We have determined that a Class A is probably our best fit.  I'm now struggling with trying to decide whether I should by an Allegro with bunks and convert the two bunks to three bunks, or buy a Winnibago with bunks and bunk over cab.  My concern with the bunk over cab is the living area becomes the sleeping area and the smaller living area (due to the two washroom floor plan).  I've never modified an RV (I'm totally capable) but I don't think re-configuring the bunk area to accommodate 3 would be difficult at all. 

My question is for those with larger families, especially the ones with kids who fight 90% of the time, does the bunk over cab work well?  Would you compromise your living area for a second bath (one in the back away from kids and boys who pee on toilet seats)?  Or should I just forget this and send my kids to camp and have a great time with my wife?

I'd go with a smaller unit for you and the wife and a tent for the kids! But then the camp part sounds good too!

We have a Tiffin 35 QBA which is a bunk model. It will sleep 7 because the dinette makes a bed and the sofa is a sleep sofa.

I think both Tiffin and Winnebago are respected manufactures with maybe a nod or two going to Tiffin for perhaps better customer service.
As a general rule Class C's were made to accommodate families and A's for couples. However that distinction is blurring with as you mentioned A's now having bunk beds.

Consider how much time you will be spending in the unit. A couple of weeks every summer is different and requires a different layout than spending weekends now and then. Kids can probably bunk together for the occasional weekend but a month or two in the summer is a different matter.

Do you cook most meals or go out to eat. Consider the kitchen size. Do you take a bunch of toys when you camp. A class A will have more storage.

Careful research will avoid the oops I got the wrong RV and resultant desire to trade up a year or two later. That will cost you big bucks with depreciation, trade in costs and taxes.

How are you going to use the motorhome? Will it be for weekends or extended trips, like two weeks. Will it be to camping sites in the woods, beach, desert or to theme destinations like Disneyland?

The Tiffin 36UA bunk model is on a 26,000 pound capacity chassis, the Winnebago vista LX 35F is on a 22,000 pound capacity chassis, (and is shorter). I assume that despite its being longer the Tiffin has more payload, that is, can carry more weight. Payload is the weight of people, cargo, propane and water carried in the coach; full automotive fluids including gasoline are figured in before payload. There?s a yellow sticker on the coach that states its payload.

Since you?ll carry five people I suggest you figure payload in to your needs, whatever you buy. Many coaches will be overloaded just carrying five people, never mind clothing, food, water, tools, etc. No lie.

Back
Top Bottom