Burning down the house

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeilerBird

Had some excitement here at the park last week. One of my neighbors trailer caught fire and pretty much totaled it. I haven't yet heard about the cause of the fire. This RV is about 100 yards from my RV. There is a lagoon my fiver is parked next to and the burned down one was on the opposite side of the lagoon pointing right at my RV. There was no danger of the trees catching fire and spreading. It rains a lot here in the fall and the trees are all saturated. But the RV was not saturated. I don't know the people who lived there. Larry used to live there and he moved out about a month ago. It reminds me I must get homeowners insurance. :-[

Attachments

• Burning down the house 1.jpg
    Burning down the house 1.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 144
  • Burning down the house 2.jpg
    Burning down the house 2.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 133
That's scary stuff, fires are so devastating. I hope they have insurance. I bought a small fire safe to keep with us when we travel for our important documents and stuff.

Rene T said:
Tom, no pictures?
Well you know what they say about me, I have no brains therefore I get no headaches. I took the photos, down rezzed them and then forgot to attach them to the thread. Thanks for the heads up Rene. ;D

Attachments

• Burning down the house 1.jpg
    Burning down the house 1.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 51
  • Burning down the house 2.jpg
    Burning down the house 2.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 45
Here is a shot I took from my dining room table. The burned up RV is just to the left of the tree but mostly obscured by all the foliage. And I even remembered to attach the photo. ;D

Attachments

• Burning down the house 3.jpg
    Burning down the house 3.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 95
RVMommaTo6 said:
That's scary stuff, fires are so devastating. I hope they have insurance. I bought a small fire safe to keep with us when we travel for our important documents and stuff.

Anyone interested in learning more about RV Fire Safety should spend some time on Mac the Fire Guy's website.

Mac is a retired professional fire fighter who now full times and teaches fire safety at various RV get-togethers like the Escapees Boot Camp.

http://www.macthefireguy.com/

Old_Crow said:
That's kind of a strange looking 5er, even before the fire.  ;)

Like he said "I have no brains therefore I get no headaches".  ;D ;D ;D
Maybe the front burnt off.  :eek: ::) :-[ :-\ ;)

In the closeup photo of the trailer it appears the water heater was the source of the fire or close to it. I see a panel removed that looks very much like a water heater cover plate.

My curiosity got the best of me and I walked over and took some photos of the damage. As soon as I took the photos I got yelled at by a passing car for trespassing. They stopped the car and I went over and explained to them that I was only taking a photograph because of the interest being shown to some photos I posted on this forum. I got the story. They bought this trailer and two days later the fire occurred. It started in the refer. The big black refer in the first photo was not the culprit. It was an additional outside refer. Fortunately the fire occurred while everyone was awake so no one was hurt. The trailer is totaled and they asked me to mention that if anyone is interested in buying it as is it could be had for $300.

Attachments

• Burning down the house 4.jpg
    Burning down the house 4.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 70
  • Burning down the house 5.jpg
    Burning down the house 5.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 66
SeilerBird said:
Had some excitement here at the park last week. One of my neighbors trailer caught fire and pretty much totaled it. I haven't yet heard about the cause of the fire. This RV is about 100 yards from my RV. There is a lagoon my fiver is parked next to and the burned down one was on the opposite side of the lagoon pointing right at my RV. There was no danger of the trees catching fire and spreading. It rains a lot here in the fall and the trees are all saturated. But the RV was not saturated. I don't know the people who lived there. Larry used to live there and he moved out about a month ago. It reminds me I must get homeowners insurance. :-[

Yikes what a disaster, good your rig was not affected.  Too bad for the owners.

RVMommaTo6 said:

A fire proof safe is an excellent idea and worth having.

One reason why I posted this is to encourage everyone who reads it to check your smoke detector. It has a test button on it. Try and and make sure the battery is good. :))

Wondering how they put it out? 
I always assumed if they went up in smoke, it would be like a straw house, so fast you couldn't even contain it.

Yes get insurance Tom, and I'll replace my propane detector that's been unhooked all summer  :-\

spencerpj said:
Wondering how they put it out? 
I always assumed if they went up in smoke, it would be like a straw house, so fast you couldn't even contain it.

Yes get insurance Tom, and I'll replace my propane detector that's been unhooked all summer  :-\
When I left the house that morning the fire department had a truck there. I did not hear the fire truck arrive but it did and it put out the fire. We are located close to a fire house. The exterior is metal so that won't go up too fast. Only the interior would burn.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom