Burning down the house

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rene T said:
Tom, any idea how old the trailer is? Looking at your first pictures, it doesn't look too old.
I have no idea how old it is. But I would guess at least twenty years old. My housekeeper told me a rumor she heard. She heard the previous owner, Larry, had something to do with the trailer catching fire, but that doesn't make any sense to me to sell something and then want it to burn up a few days later.

Very interesting.... Sad for the new owner, I'm vurious if the old owner sold it knowing there was an issue or not. Sad either way.

SeilerBird said:
One reason why I posted this is to encourage everyone who reads it to check your smoke detector. It has a test button on it. Try and and make sure the battery is good. :))

Well, since my birthday was week before last, both my smoke detector and CO detector got new batteries and a test.  I'm good to go.

The burned up trailer has not sold yet. I drove past it this morning and it has a sign on it "Free". I think he realized there is no value in a burned up trailer.

A steel scrapper might take it for the frame.  There are some on this site that need some spare aluminum siding, lol.  Price is right

Just checked scrap prices and vehicles w/titles are only bringing $100/ton, this will get even less and my have to cut into smaller pieces depending on the scrap yard.

SeilerBird said:
One reason why I posted this is to encourage everyone who reads it to check your smoke detector. It has a test button on it. Try and and make sure the battery is good. :))

Great idea!  Nice of you to do....
just to add to your tip, I've been researching detectors recently for my "sticks and bricks".  Several nights ago we had one start squawking in the middle of the night for no reason. only the one was going off but they are wired so when one goes off they all are supposed to.
Anyway, in my research I re-learned that the suggestion is to replace these things after 10 years.
also, that when testing, the button only verifies the battery and horn.  test with real smoke once in a while.
I did mine and found that 2 out of the 9 of them were very slow to alarm.  They ultimately did, but still...  Also, nver did the interconnect thing ever work.
so
i ordered a bunch, some combo CO and smoke, and now I have another project.

Oh, and one other thing to add... I came across some statistics in my research.  I didn't even try to remember the numbers, but the point was that in a majority of fires (or was it fire deaths) there are smoke detectors present but they did not work.

Replaced both the CO and smoke detector when I bought my coach 2 years ago.  Just installed the second set of replacement batteries in both of them.

SeilerBird said:
My curiosity got the best of me and I walked over and took some photos of the damage. As soon as I took the photos I got yelled at by a passing car for trespassing. They stopped the car and I went over and explained to them that I was only taking a photograph because of the interest being shown to some photos I posted on this forum. I got the story. They bought this trailer and two days later the fire occurred. It started in the refer. The big black refer in the first photo was not the culprit. It was an additional outside refer. Fortunately the fire occurred while everyone was awake so no one was hurt. The trailer is totaled and they asked me to mention that if anyone is interested in buying it as is it could be had for $300.

Only $300!?

A bargain! I bet the bidding war is heating up over there!

Insurance...

By the way I had to buy collision insurance on my 5th wheel so I could have comprehensive which covers fires and hurricanes etc.

So I did $5000 deductible on collision and $500 deductible on comprehensive.

I just wanted some starting over money as I hate the thought of ending up homeless.

I also saved another $85 buy paying annually for the insurance and not financing it.  8)

I also keep detailed records of my maintenance and upgrades plus frequent pictures so if we ever had to fight it out, I can prove it was in tip top shape with everything working. I also keep it legally registered.

You would be surprised what some insurance companies will do to avoid a claim. I heard someone couldn't get their RV claim pushed through because they had let the registration lapse for a few years and insurance said they don't insure "Abandoned" property.

I don't know how that would stack up in a court of law, but something to chew on anyhow.

Well they ended up giving it away. After a few weeks of no one wanting to pay $300 they put up a free sign and it was gone in a few days. Then they cleaned up the site and now a nice new Jayco trailer is sitting there.

blw2 said:
Great idea!  Nice of you to do....
just to add to your tip, I've been researching detectors recently for my "sticks and bricks".  Several nights ago we had one start squawking in the middle of the night for no reason. only the one was going off but they are wired so when one goes off they all are supposed to.
Anyway, in my research I re-learned that the suggestion is to replace these things after 10 years.
also, that when testing, the button only verifies the battery and horn.  test with real smoke once in a while.
I did mine and found that 2 out of the 9 of them were very slow to alarm.  They ultimately did, but still...  Also, nver did the interconnect thing ever work.
so
i ordered a bunch, some combo CO and smoke, and now I have another project.

Oh, and one other thing to add... I came across some statistics in my research.  I didn't even try to remember the numbers, but the point was that in a majority of fires (or was it fire deaths) there are smoke detectors present but they did not work.
I tested my smoke detector and it passed with flying colors. I won't sleep through it, it is located right above my bed. Thanks Brad. :))

DearMissMermaid said:
Seriously? Someone carted that off for free?

WOW!
Well I don't really know that for sure. It had a free sign on it one day and it was gone the next. Maybe someone was paid to take it. I have not talked to the owners.

Back
Top Bottom