Norcold fridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have the same floorplan, just a bit older.  I've not noticed a significant change like that while driving, but then I've not looked all that close for it either.
I do remember one time early on, not long after installing my 1st ARP controller (no aux fans in use then or now), that I noticed the thinking kicking off quite a bit when on LP.  I remember it was very windy that day and I decided that the wind was most likely the issue.
Anyway, I think Gary's point is very plausible..... aux fans will likely do the trick!

I guess I was over thinking the cooling fans and coils. I thought it was more similar design to a standard fridge putting the coils somewhere under it and not outside accessible. I opened up the outside panel and looked in (and up) and low-n-behold, I can see light up top. Much simpler design than I expected. Little did I know the coils are right there.
Somewhere I saw someone had mounted a pair of little fans right to the outside access panel and wired it to the 12v positive wire going to the control circuit. I guess in addition to that, one (who is crafty) could make a type of baffle or duct to guide the air flow upward over the coils. If I remember correctly, the fans only draw a total of less than 1/2 amp which should eliminate the need for an extra circuit &/or fuses.

I guess the big question now is do those fans that you found work, typical cheap muffin fans in that sort of application might last only a year or two before the sleeve bearings seize up.

A typical computer fan will be rated for about 30,000 hours of duty, so 3-4 years if running non-stop. The el cheapo ones may be as little as 15,000 and the top models are 50k or more.  The ratings are usually at fairly high operating temps, so a fan near the intake vent may run cooler and thus longer, even though the temperature in the upper chimney area is 100+ F.

I bought my 4 fans for $10 total, or maybe it was $20?  It was long enough ago (> 3 years) that I can?t find the history on Amazon or eBay.  I guess I?m on borrowed time.  ;)

Finally making time to get to it.  I found a kit with 2 12v fans that mount up with no mods on eBay for about $51 including shipping. Hope to get them installed within a week or 2.
I will update the results.

skydivemark said:
Finally making time to get to it.  I found a kit with 2 12v fans that mount up with no mods on eBay for about $51 including shipping. Hope to get them installed within a week or 2.
I will update the results.

Thanks for the update. Like you, I'm just getting to some mods that I've been wanting to do since last fall including a residential refrigerator. Why did I think I'd have more time when I retired. LOL

I installed the fans. The brackets included with the kit didn't work so I made my own mounts.
I have a pic of the installation but don't know how to reduce the resolution/size enough to upload here. These little fans move a lot of air so I expect (and hope) they will solve the problem. I will update with results after our next trip.
If anyone knows how to reduce pic size enough to upload here please let me know.

Hmm, resized online with no luck - so far.

Attachments

• img_20190213_1628481_T4Ij4.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 19
  • img_20190213_1814367_oF7i2.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 6
Lets see if this works. I added switches to turn one or both fans off depending on needs. Also if we're on battery power and stationary I probably just need 1 fan.
I used picresize.com .

Attachments

• rsz_img_20190213_162848113.jpg
    rsz_img_20190213_162848113.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 32
  • rsz_img_20190213_181436767.jpg
    rsz_img_20190213_181436767.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 31
Thanks for the pics. That should take care of the problem. I checked out picresize.com. Easier to use than Lunapic.com which I've been using.

Just an update; first time we've been on a trip since installing the fans. It seems to have solved the problem. Fridge stayed nice and cold - mid 30's and freezer around zero?.
While stationary I would just run one fan, and while travelling I would run both.

skydivemark said:
Right now, after stationary for the night (on propane) freezer is -14?f, fridge is mid 30's (varies a bit depending on distance from coils).
skydivemark
Happy it's working ? ....with absorption refrigerators "patience" is often the solution.

Appology if resurrecting an old thread is inappropriate but several weeks ago our fridge acted up again while driving. Same as it did when I started this thread (maybe a little worse), very hot day with the sun on that side all day while driving. I checked during a stop and both fans were running.
After being parked over night everything was cooled back down by morning.
Is there any such thing as some type of air scoop that can be attached to the outside vent to catch air and direct it upwards over the coils?
I'm just wondering if there may be some kind of burble effect on the roof counter-acting what the fans are trying to do. The fans are capable of moving enough air but they're not very powerful.
Or is it just one of those things with this type of cooling system?

I have the same type of problem with my roof top ac. On hot days and at the right speed, the air flow reduces and the 20 amp breaker trips. Pisses me off. I have been pondering an air scoup of some type to make sure I get enough volume of air through the condensing coil.

In your case I would try a bigger fan. Heat transfers from hot to cold. The bigger the differential the greater the heat transfer is. You may have a couple of problems. The air flow volume is decreasing and the air flow temperature is increasing. A more powerful fan may help push the air through any resistance caused by being in motion.

I would think there must be enough air movement up there to cool your fridge. Maybe a small scoup adapted to the fridge access panel. I would think its been tried by someone. I bet it would work.

Henry J Fate said:
I have the same type of problem with my roof top ac. On hot days and at the right speed, the air flow reduces and the 20 amp breaker trips. Pisses me off. I have been pondering an air scoup of some type to make sure I get enough volume of air through the condensing coil.

In your case I would try a bigger fan. Heat transfers from hot to cold. The bigger the differential the greater the heat transfer is. You may have a couple of problems. The air flow volume is decreasing and the air flow temperature is increasing. A more powerful fan may help push the air through any resistance caused by being in motion.

I would think there must be enough air movement up there to cool your fridge. Maybe a small scoup adapted to the fridge access panel. I would think its been tried by someone. I bet it would work.
I've thought about a bigger (& more powerful) fan, but that may need its own circuit,  the ones I have now get power from the 12v input side of the control board which isn't capable of much load. I think the 2 draw a total of 1/4-1/2 amp.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom