Boondocking, Whats Your Record?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thanks Lou,

Dumping barrels of "Waste"....   

AKA..."Latrine duty" ....an unforgettable part of Army training.

With the coach we have now it?s a struggle to make 10 days. One of our toilets is electric and uses a lot of water. Yes we can adjust the amount, but still uses too much water. If we have a choice I don?t think we would get an electric toilet again.

what about those composting toilets,  would they work for a total black tank elimination ?

Like many here, we have done 12 days with 55 gal fresh water, and four auxiliary 6 gallon Jerry cans. We recently went a couple of months without plugging in, as we have ample solar. Water management is always the limiting factor, and that is a function of holding tank size, and personal water conservation.

My longest stay in one spot was 19 nights when I was in Ajo this spring. As of Monday 10/8 I will have 222 free nights and 58 paid. Most of the paid nights were at national park/national forest campgrounds that were dry camping.

sightseers said:
what about those composting toilets,  would they work for a total black tank elimination ?

One has to be willing to make a number of compromises to use one of those.  :-\

Frank B said:
One has to be willing to make a number of compromises to use one of those.  :-\
Maybe with the one from Wallmart ..... but many of the European RVs are using these nicely designed RV composting toilets,  they appear to be very civilized and look the same as any RV toilet on the inside,  when full, the self contained hand held dump tank is removable from an outside compartment and dumps easily into a standard sewer mounted toilet or dump station. 

No muss or fuss.

sightseers said:
Maybe with the one from Wallmart ..... but many of the European RVs are using these nicely designed RV composting toilets,  they appear to be very civilized and look the same as any RV toilet on the inside,  when full, the self contained hand held dump tank is removable from an outside compartment and dumps easily into a standard sewer mounted toilet or dump station. 

No muss or fuss.

Are you sure those are composting toilets and not cassette toilets? Cassette toilets are basically built-in port-a-potties with a small externally removable holding tank. The solid waste from composting toilets is just that, relatively solid, and can't be dumped down the typical dump station opening and may clog up a toilet. The liquid urine bottle can be dumped in a toilet or suitable drain of course.

As to "no muss or fuss", here's a write up of one RV'ing couples use of the composting toilet in their RV. Sure doesn't sound as easy as hooking up a hose and pulling a valve open.

https://www.gonewiththewynns.com/prepare-dump-composting-toilet

Just finished 4 nights.  Used maybe 25 to 30 gallons of water.  The fresh tank holds 80 so suspect we could do maybe 10 to 12 nights.  Hard to say for sure since the tanks lights don't work properly.  Gray tank always says 1/2 full after draining.  Only problem, it's the top half that's full.  :eek: 

garyb1st said:
Just finished 4 nights.  Used maybe 25 to 30 gallons of water.  The fresh tank holds 80 so suspect we could do maybe 10 to 12 nights.  Hard to say for sure since the tanks lights don't work properly.  Gray tank always says 1/2 full after draining.  Only problem, it's the top half that's full.  :eek:

Bahahaha! Ain't it always the top half that fills first!  ;D 

We do dishes in a basin in the sink, then pour the dishwater down the toilet. For us we find that it evens out tank usage as well as allowing the black tank to empty more fully due to the greater volume of liquid.

Last year we got into Quartzsite LTVA on September 1st and left on May 15, I think that equals out to 256 Days, of course we have a 100 gallon waste tank and a 55 gallon water barrel on a small trailer to haul to the waste station and water fill. Also 960 watts of solar helps.

wish my rig had capacity to do longer than it does.
Mostly we'd only do it one night in a place and move to a different place.  our longest was 5 nights before finding a CG to plug in...but each night was someplace different while enroute over something like 1700 miles or more.  i found that this exceeded my personal threshold for driving miles and nights not plugged in.  I was beat.

The most in one place without moving is I think two nights

The most in one place without moving is I think two nights

Oh, you poor man! That has to be grueling!

We just did Calgary to Vancouver Washington, to Crater Lake Oregon, and then back again in 13 days. That was tough enough. Ordinarily, we will do at least 10 to 12 days in one spot. Hope you get a bit more of a rest than that the next trip you are out. :)

A week.  Outhouse where we could dump the Porta-potty and hand pump where where we could get water when needed or refill our water tank.

Limit is more scheduling than equipment.  So many beautiful places to go and so much to see.

We do have a favorite spot on the shore of Lake Superior that we will spend extended time at every few years.  Just can't get away from it.

Attachments

• c50P1030609w.jpg
    c50P1030609w.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 16
We've gone 18 days at one stretch being heading to the dump. Our tanks are relatively small with 42 gallons of fresh water, 40 gallon gray tank and 30 gallon black tank. This was pushing it but we routinely go 12-15 days at a time. An Oxygenics shower head helps immensely with water conservation. We also use a dishpan in the kitchen sink and dump all waste water into the black tank to conserve on gray tank space.

Off Our Rocker RV said:
We've gone 18 days at one stretch being heading to the dump. Our tanks are relatively small with 42 gallons of fresh water, 40 gallon gray tank and 30 gallon black tank. This was pushing it but we routinely go 12-15 days at a time. An Oxygenics shower head helps immensely with water conservation. We also use a dishpan in the kitchen sink and dump all waste water into the black tank to conserve on gray tank space.
Hi and welcome to the forum. Sounds like you guys have things all worked out!

Are you sure your black tank is only 30 gallons.  :)

JDOnTheGo said:
Six weeks for me.  This was on a chunk of private land out in the middle of nowhere so not limited to X days.

No power, electric, septic, or generator - all solar. 150 gallons of fresh water, 120 gallon holding tank.

Amazing JD! My math puts you at 3.5 gallons of water/day. Missy seems to be working out well

You all need to get Terry Brewer involved here.

When he decides they are not moving to a dump station it comes down to wet wipe baths, etc. The 8-10 days Sue will tolerate no hookups is just a good start for the Brewers.

Back
Top Bottom