5th Wheels Best and Worst Park logistics Experience and Where

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DrCatcher

I am completely new to the 5th wheel RV thing..
So new I have not bought one yet.
THat said.. I do tow and have towed some large fishing boats all over the SE.. and from time to time I run into logistical issues with towns, boat ramps, over heads.
I thought it might be interesting to hear what the 5th wheel community here had to say about some weird stuff that has happened to them..
Might help me add to my list of "things to watch out for"

I am looking at buying a 5th toy hauler. I currently tow with a 18' F350 Platinum rigged for 5th but never towed a 5th.. Just big 40ft center console fishing boats.

Looking to make my purchase of a new Toy Hauler for my wife and I to get away from the coast and enjoy some mountains, streams, and quiet.

Opinions of the best toy haulers out there are also appreciated..

Oh, I am putting a full size motorcycle in the garage of the toy hauler.. maybe a golf cart

Go....

When I had a 5th wheel, 37?, triple axel, I never really had a problem at a CG. But, I did get into some situations in parking lots like in a fast food restaurant. I dropped my wife off so she could go in and order. The only way out was to drive around the parking lot and then park in the rear. I got to the first turn and didn?t have room for the turn. Had to back up and jack knife to get the truck parallel with the turn. My wife said folks inside were standing up to watch. My wife overheard a few mention how close I came to their car. Another time my wife asked me to turn down a side road. After about a mile it deadended. There was not a sign at the entrance. I had to back that mile out. I have more, such as having to back through a gate off a very busy two lane road. The wife was trying to flag traffic but everyone knows how well folks pay attention. And the time I drove through downtown Annapolis, MD on a Navy game day. Drove up to the main gate of the Naval Academy and dropped the wife off. My wife said the gate guard asked her what the hell I was doing pulling the huge trailer through Annapolis. She told him we take it everywhere since it was our house.

Our first trip, we found a couple "ATTACK TREES" in the campground - one on our way in and one as we left.  I was making a turn and it jumped right into the side of the camper. 

Now, for close CG, we will visit in the Miata first to check clearances.  For others, Google Earth.

If you?ve never pulled a 5th wheel, be aware that they don?t turn and back like a conventional bumper pull trailer. A 5er will turn inside the tow vehicle because the pivot point is directly over the rear axle. You should consider some practice making your turns and backing in an open parking lot if you can find one, before you take on a crowded campground.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom