Fix or replace driver seats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cerd

I am having a hard time deciding how to fix my front driver seats in my class C. The bottom cushions are really worn to the point that I lean slightly to one side and it makes me fairly uncomfortable while driving. I am torn between having them repaired (local upholstry shop quoted me $250 for one piece of foam for the bottom.

So now I am wondering if I should consider replacing them with some seats from a Cadillac or something from the junkyard, repair them myself with foam from Joann, knowing that it won't look as good, or buying new RV seats from a dealer. The seats are well broken in. They feel like an old comfy recliner, making it a viable option if we have extra company that needs a place to sleep.

Repairing the old ones is probably the least cost solution, plus it avoids any problem with incompatible seat bases or mismatched mounting holes. Get some quotes and see what seems best.

Is the $250 just for the foam piece, or does that include actually replacing the pad in the seat.  I'm assuming you have to bring the seat to their shop yourself, though.  If its just for the piece of foam, you can probably buy it online or in a craft store for much less, but you need to educate yourself about foam density and thickness to be sure you get the support you want.  Foam comes in various density (resilience) and to some extent you can trade off between density and thickness.
https://www.foambymail.com/seats-and-cushions.html

The $250 was just to make a single custom fitted cushion. I did pick up a piece of foam from Joann's for about $35, but shaping it to match will be difficult. I can make a new platform for a different seat altogether much easier, but I am weary of changing the design, due to safety reasons. Then again, motorhomes aren't exactly the safest thing on the road to begin with. Plus, a new pedestal would prevent the seat from turning.

The driver's seat is not meant to turn; the dinette is in the way and Chevy designed the seat to also hold the computer for the engine. The passenger seat turns, but the seat belt comes with it since the top point is mounted to the wall, not the seat itself.

New seats for a modern coach come with pedestals to mount to the floor, but I would have to remote locate the computer still and these seats are $500-800 each.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom