New DTV/SD info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
NY_Dutch said:
It may not be as dire as thought for dome owners:

Let's be positive--the changeover will NOT be a problem for owners of portables or rooftop domes which should be able to receive most major HD channels broadcast on the 101 and 119 satellites.  The only reason such devices weren't currently receiving DirecTV HD was because it was being broadcast from two satellites which most domes aren't pointed at (99 ad 103) and it is being broadcast using a frequency (Ka band) that domes aren't designed to receive.  Both of these problems will go away next year.

The 99 and 103 satellites will be used for local channels and you won't be able to receive those with a dome.  And the 119 satellite is going to be used for some unspecified channels and not all domes can receive signals from that satellite.  So depending on what dome or portable you own, you may well end up with a lot more capability than you have today!

Joel (AKA docj)

I agree with DTV subscribers staying positive about the changes, Joel. I do wonder though, how much flexibility AT&T will give DTV in replacing their aging satellite fleet. I understand 10 of the 13 sats in the DTV fleet, including the sats at 101 and 119, are over 10 years old, with the 101 sats 16 and 17 years old and the 119 sat 14. Have you seen anything about future replacements?

NY_Dutch said:
I agree with DTV subscribers staying positive about the changes, Joel. I do wonder though, how much flexibility AT&T will give DTV in replacing their aging satellite fleet. I understand 10 of the 13 sats in the DTV fleet, including the sats at 101 and 119, are over 10 years old, with the 101 sats 16 and 17 years old and the 119 sat 14. Have you seen anything about future replacements?

Dutch:

It's my understanding that a replacement for 101 has been in orbit for several years and is all ready to be put into service.  I don't know about 119 but I assume that DTV wouldn't be planning on using it in a new configuration unless they had an in-orbit spare for it, also.

Frankly, I think people have taken the the AT&T's comments a couple of years ago totally out of context.  Yes, he said that the future of DirecTV is streaming but he didn't put any timetable on that transition.  At present many of DTV's customers are  located in parts of the country where there is no alternative source of TV.  I seriously doubt that DTV is going to turn its back on these customers.  These plans for 2019 are a good indication that DTV doesn't intend to intentionally cut off major segments of its customer base.

Joel

Thanks for posting that, Dutch. It's about what I expected from "reading between the lines", but happy to see it confirmed.

AT&T+DTV aren't getting out of the satellite business, so I expect they will upgrade as needed.  Their future focus will be streaming rather than broadcast tv, but that will almost surely be marketed as  a package with some tv network broadcast.

The big problem for many Rvers will be the changeover to an HD-capable receiver.  Many existing dome or automatic dishes are not compatible with the HD receivers.  Further, HD receivers are nearly all HDMI and many older Rvs have only coax cabling inside.  Either of those will make the changeover well short of "plug & play". Also very expensive for those who lack DIY skills.

Good points, Gary... It's really a shame that the RV satellite market is such a small segment of both provider's business that we have no real clout with them. Dish does seem to be a little more responsive than DTV though, adding features like their apps ability to change locals for a subset of RV'ers, and offering the month-to-month subscription plan that's ideal for part-timers.

Back
Top Bottom