Reclining in recliners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cbgenrich

We're not RV owners yet, but looking seriously.

I'm wondering, it seems to me that when we see an RV at a dealer, there's never room for the recliner to recline.  That's the second thing I do when I get in a recliner (which is every chance I get), the first thing being the lifting of the footrest.

The darn thing wants to smash into the delicate fan-fold day/night shade thingy, or whack into something else.  And don't even think about swiveling.

If you pulled the recliner far enough away from the wall to recline, well that would mess up some slide or waste a huge amount of space behind it.

Why don't they come with "wall hugging" recliners which require very little space behind?

Anyone care to comment on their experiences with recliners in RVs?

Most of the recliners I've seen, and the one in my motorhome, are mounted on sliders so they can be slid out from the wall for reclining room.
Mine is Flexsteel and I have three latches, one for the slider, one to pivot, and one that reclines.

Woody

I've seen the automotive seats in MH move forward, which was usually required to get them to rotate, allow the slide to move, etc.

But if that's true of the general recliner furniture, I sure haven't noticed it.  Do you mean the furniture tends to have that feature?

As far as I know it is common. A friend of mine has an 06 Monaco Diplomat and his does, and mine does. I would assume it would be a standard feature if the recliner is set up close to a wall, which most of them are.
My favorite position in mine is to slide my front passenger seat as far back as it will go, turn it around backward, and then pivot my recliner to face it. This way I can recline back and put my feet up in the seat. VERY comfortable.    :)

Woody

Well, mine doesn't slide anywhere, though I can unhook it from its safety lock down on the floor and move the whole darned thing, as cbgenrich mentions.  And I've had the same observation that he makes - the manufacturers tend to stuff in a big recliner without allowing sufficient room for it to actually swivel and recline.  There are smaller recliners and various designs that will fit in cramper places, but I guess they don't look as impressive as the others?  The RV industry has a long history of concentrating more on style than usability and they have been consistently well rewarded by their customers for doing so.

When we ordered our MH we intentionally chose a model in which we could put Jerry's easy chair and computer desk on the same side as the dining table and chairs because that side is more flexible.  We did not want his recliner on the kitchen counter side because he wouldn't be able to lean back in it without hitting the counter's sidewall.  We also replaced the heavy chair provided with the smaller and less intrusive Ekorness-style recliner.

ArdraF

Be careful of Ekorness-style recliners because they erase your memory.  They are dangerous and there may be others that agree with me.  The problem is that when I lean back in this comfy chair to relax and watch the evening news I don't remember anything after the first few minutes. 

JerryF

We have two large recliners and we can freely move them about the coach.  They ride up against one wall where a sofa used to be.  We switched the sofabed on that side of the coach out for the two recliners when we ordered the coach from the factory.  When we are parked we can slide them out from the wall (with slides opened, and have plenty of room to recline and watch TV.  Next time we are at the same rally as you, feel free to come aboard and see how we are set up!

Jerry,

I often have that same problem with our Lafer recliner :)

JerArdra said:
Be careful of Ekorness-style recliners because they erase your memory.  They are dangerous and there may be others that agree with me.  The problem is that when I lean back in this comfy chair to relax and watch the evening news I don't remember anything after the first few minutes. 

JerryF

Yep I can second Jerry's warning as I have the same experience.

mine is a wallhugger style and it is also not attached to the floor so I can
move it out smack dab in the front of the tv if I want to when my slide is
out.

Aye Ava, exactly what we have.  We have two of them that replaced an originally planned sofa.  What did we need with two sofas?  Two recliners and one sofa made much more sense.

Initially we were worried that they would slide around when underway, but they stay on there big circular bases as solid as a rock and do not budge an inch.

In Mom & Dad's last 35' 5er, they replaced the sofa across the back end with 2 recliners. Took the recliners with them when they downsized to a 28' 5er. Don't recall them ever complaining that they moved or hit the wall.

Wendy

I don't have a recliner (moveable or otherwise) but  I can fall asleep on a bar stool if the evening news is boring enough. :D :D :D :D

If and when I get a coach under me, I want tho make the living area fit me. I'm looking for older Tiffens with LR slide. I want to replace the drivers seat. Ideally it will perform the following functions: 1/ Swivel to become office chair. Awhile back there was a link to, I think it was "Airdesk" I was just in the process of designing something very similar. It could be secured with a floor and ceiling clamp. With "bluetooth, everything would wonderful. 2/ Be heated and vibrate (back problems) It will still have to be functional as drivers seat. I am also looking to move TV. Perhaps at the end of the cupboard or at end of couch by table or booth. Please point out the folly in my thinking.Any input would be appreciated. Tks. -Steve

Whatever else, a man MUST have an easychair, preferrably with a privacy bubble!

Hi Steve,

Our motorhome driver's seat swivels around and I use it as an office area.  It's also electric so it has various seat and back positions.  We have a foldable table which has adjustable heights.  I set it up at an agle to the driver's seat (after the seat has been turned around to face the back of the coach).  My husband has run a power surge cord behind the couch that I can plug my laptop into.  I can also set a lamp on the table.  So it's "my little" work space.  We are on our own wireless internet router and the computers are networked together.

I think you might be hard pressed to find a driver's seat that is heated and vibrates.  I have seen a one piece independent device that sits (fits) on the back and on the seat of a chair that provides heat and vibrates.  Perhaps you don't need to actually replace the driver's seat; but could get one of these portable devices.  I had a back problem a while ago and was visiting some friends.  They had the unit so I could test it out.  IT worked very well.

Marsha~

Marsha

>>I think you might be hard pressed to find a driver's seat that is heated and vibrates. <<

My Villa seats are heated & have multi vibration options....He might choke on the cost though.<G>

Terry,  I sure didn't know seats could be purchased with those options.  I'm not gonna let Tim see this message.

Do you have trouble seeing clearly when the vibrate is on max as you are going down the road..... :p  I would think the "road" might be going up and down.... ;D

Marsha~

Back
Top Bottom