Beta testing new VMSpc software

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SargeW

Site Team
I received the latest version of the VMSpc software for testing today. There are some cool new features (spoiler alert, like being able to make round face gauges) and some other improvements.

I just built my display, and will provide some feedback to Art after I run it. It's available on their website, under the "downloads" tab. The latest version is 4.0.9
http://www.silverleafelectronics.com/

I will still tweak some of the colors and such, but this will give you the idea.

Attachments

• VMSpc round gauges (2).jpg
    VMSpc round gauges (2).jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 85
Oh My Gosh - this looks awesome!!  The geek in me just went berserk!  How long have you been using this?  I have to read up on this, but how does it get the readings?

BTW...how's the computer tweaking going?

The VMSpc has a small electronic box (JIB) that plugs into the vehicle data port. It reports all data available through the ECM computer.  The system is designed to work on larger diesel motors. 

The computer functions have been mostly restored by doubling the machine's RAM. That and cleaning out and optimizing the old files. So far so good.....

SargeW said:
I received the latest version of the VMSpc software for testing today. There are some cool new features (spoiler alert, like being able to make round face gauges) and some other improvements.

I just built my display, and will provide some feedback to Art after I run it. It's available on their website, under the "downloads" tab. The latest version is 4.0.9
http://www.silverleafelectronics.com/

I will still tweak some of the colors and such, but this will give you the idea.
Just stumbled on this post, AWESOME. I was thinking of this to invest for a long time. (Had an offer for a used jib but did hold it off) I suppose you have tweaked it a lot already. I like the round gauges, easy to read! Can you repost a current screenshot?

A question I have; Is it able to display the true Odometer value. (The miles since the chassis was delivered to the manufacturer) ? My odometer on the panel did reset itself a while ago :(

Klaas

Isn't it crazy that you need to create a "current gear" gauge?  :eek:  Hello Allison? Anyone home? I created the same gauge when I had my coach and VMSpc, along with "selected".

To the OP.

I've been running VMSpc for about 9 years but have stayed with version 2.5.  I've tried the 4.x versions but they don't read most of my engine data.  My coach is a 2000 with a CAT C-10.  I believe I've seen that the versions above 3.x do not work properly with some older engines.

Do you know if the newest version has addressed this issue?

Here is a pic of my latest layout. There is a new version and a newer than that version. This was done with 3.9 I  believe.

Attachments

• 20190124_132503 (2).jpg
    20190124_132503 (2).jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 33
SargeW said:
Here is a pic of my latest layout. There is a new version and a newer than that version. This was done with 3.9 I  believe.
Thanks, Sarge looking great and easy to see.

I order a set from RVupgrades.com they are $309 there, the best price I could find. I already have a windows tablet on order :)

So the mileage "Since day one" is the true mileage of the coach right? I suppose your version is 4.0.9 as that introduced the round gauges. 

Yep, and I have experimented with a variety of different layouts. Some all radial gauges, some half and half, this most recent one a blending of a little of everything. Changing layouts is as simple as opening a saved file.  So I am probably not done yet, just until I get a bug to swap stuff around...

Heli_av8tor said:
Cool!
Is there anything like this for us gas guzzlers?
The only option I know that comes somewhat close for gas is the scan-gauge (scangauge.com)  It has its own display but is less configurable then VMSpc. This reflects in its price too, cost around $160 on Amazon while the unit to connect and run VMSpc cost around $300 on RVupgrades.com (The software is free and runs on Windows devices)
Both options use the diagnostic port to read data.

Both options use the diagnostic port to read data.

But, of course, they are different types of ports. I agree about the scangauge 2, but note that if you want to build your own gauges, the programming is a bit involved, and you can only display 4 parameters at a time, text style, not graphics. I've had one on my F-150 for years, and I love it. I wish VMSpc ran on Android or iOS, since I have tablets of both types, but my laptop (and my wife's, as well) are too big to place in my Ventana except on the floor or where I can't see it going down the road. Maybe I need a baby size one?  8) ::)

Found another monitoring option:

BlueFire for Motorhomes
connects to your motorhome via the BlueFire Data Adapter. The Adapter plugs into the 9 pin or 6 pin diagnostic port of your motorhome and sends J1939 and J1708 information to the app via Bluetooth. The Adapter is available for purchase from Amazon and from the manufacturer store at bluefire-llc.com. The adapter is $190 and the software is free.  There is software available for Android, IOS and Windows 10

The BlueFire for Motorhomes app is free and will run in Demo mode without the Adapter. This provides an opportunity to view the functionality that it offers prior to purchasing an Adapter. 

There is an interesting discussion going on here: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/vmspc-replacement-option-425748.html

Attachments

• bluefire.jpg
    bluefire.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 10
The website seems to imply that it's gas only, in that it mentions 6 pin for prior to 2000 and 9 pin for later, along with some J-- numbers, which mean nothing to me, but no indication otherwise, other than it mentions truck (pickup or big rig?) and motorhome (gas or diesel?). Or maybe it's trying to say diesel only? There's just not much information. The "interesting discussion" doesn't seem to tell me, either, other than it seems some folks have diesel coaches, so perhaps it isn't for gas.

But I'll keep an eye out, since if it is for diesel rigs and if it does run on iOS or Android, it might be pretty good. Guess I'll have to find some reviews.

Thanks for bringing it up.

Addendum:
I just saw Ken's post about this device. Guess it IS diesel. Interesting...

I've looked this over some more. Part of my initial confusion was that I didn't realize that the link above is just to the store -- home page is more informative -- and part was some inner stubborness or perhaps being overly skeptical, or...

I've now had a chance to play with the app on an iPad (no device, so it's default values in the demo), and it looks like something I'd like to have (what a change :eek: ::) ), though it'll be a while before I'll fire up the rig, so no rush on the hardware. It seems to do all I could do with the VMSpc demo (no device) on my laptop. I'll revisit this one of these days when it's closer to time to use the RV.

Larry N. said:
I've looked this over some more. Part of my initial confusion was that I didn't realize that the link above is just to the store -- home page is more informative -- and part was some inner stubborness or perhaps being overly skeptical, or...
Yup, I had the same confusion, once I found the home page it was more clear. 

I will started a new thread because we are highjacking the VMSpc subject from Sarge....... See here: 

BlueFire for monitoring diesel engine and chassis

Back
Top Bottom