Awning Sidewall Failure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lwight

I've got a Skyline Nomad with an A&E awning. The supports are anchored to the side wall of the trailer and one of the supports has failed. The 2" lag bolts apparently pulled out and looking inside the resulting hole I see chaos! While there's some material left it seems there's nothing solid left to fasten to. Has anyone had this problem? How can I create a backing inside those two holes sufficient to grab the lag bolts? Or are there molly bolts of sufficient size to carry that heavy awning load?

I had that problem and decided to drill right through and use larger long bolts and nuts with a backing plate or fender washers. the nuts and washers ended up under a kitchen counter and cabinets so it does not show. I did a similar thing to one awning for the the top attachment and those bolts ended up in cabinets along the ceiling

Make sure you caulk up the holes and area, you don't want water coming in after the repairs.

Thank you, Stu. Interesting idea and I appreciate it. Inboard of my failure is the furnace with limited access. I'll look at this, though. I am hoping someone will have filled their cavity with something that hardens and can be drilled.

there is an epoxy wood filler available that is used to fill rotten wood holes or bug damage in wood. I used a Minwax brand a couple times, Could probably get it at any of the big box lumber yards.

You should be able to restore the mounting holes. Check with www.delamrepair.com for possible solution

Back
Top Bottom