Completely overwhelmed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LivingwithDogs

Hello everyone! I'm new here and just dipping my feet into the RV world. I have a somewhat unique situation and would love some opinions!

OK, so, most of my RV/camper experience comes from dog shows. I have show dogs and have stayed in friends' campers at shows as a teenager. Well, now I am a college student who has found myself "kicked out" (not really- but I live with my mom and she's decided to sell her house and move out of state- meanwhile I'm here at school)... the kicker is, I have 5 dogs.... you can't rent an apartment with 5 dogs....

so I'm thinking outside the box!!

I have a friend who owns a home with a large extra lot and is willing to let me park a camper there (we've checked, no zoning rules against it that we can find). So now I'm starting my research into the practicality of it.

The one BIG question I have that I'm not technically savvy enough to find the answer to is: is there a way I could "plug in" (I'm assuming some sort of converter would be necessary) to the electric from his home- so I wouldn't have to use a generator (for noise reasons).

I also need to do a ton of research (would love pointers) on what to do about waste water. It is a close friend so I could probably get by with showering at their place a few times a week, but I don't want to overstay my welcome and run into their house every time I need to pee!!

Anyway, I'm continuing to browse the forum and get new info and play with ideas. I am a college student so I'm tight on cash (my older brother would be purchasing the camper in cash, and I would pay him back for it monthly) so this would need to make economical sense as well.

Plus side: after I graduate and have a "real job" (I'm in nursing school- two years left) I would love to be able to take this to dog shows :)

Oh, and my current car is a Prius C.... so.... while a trailer would probably be best, and it will be parked, getting it there/emptying it may be a problem since I have no vehicle with which to tow it....

This may be a wish that just can't come true, but I would love to get your opinions!!

Thanks for any help/advice you can offer!!

Welcome to The RV Forum!

Electricity, yes you can plug in.  But you may be limited on what you can run in the RV.  Normal RV outlets are either 30 or 50 amps, if you use an extension cord to plug into a regular house outlet you may be limited to using no more than 15 or 20 amps.

The actual connection is easy - Walmart and others sell the necessary converters to match your RV plug to a household outlet.

Running lights, fans, the TV, etc. will be fine.  But you may have problems (tripping a fuse or low voltage) if you try to use stuff that needs more power like the air conditioner, or anything that makes heat like a room heater, hair dryer, the water heater in electric mode, etc.

As far as water and sewer, you can fill the water tank or run a hose to provide pressurized water or fill your RV's water tank from any outside water spigot.  Getting rid of waste is a little more tricky - is your friend on sewer or does he use a septic tank?  There may be a pipe cleanout on the sewer line you could use to empty the RV tanks into - this is a capped Y on the sewer line meant to give a plumber access to run a roto-rooter through the pipe.  Something like a macerator pump that grinds up the waste and pumps it uphill through a garden hose can be used to get the waste from the RV into the cleanout.

A lot depends on the willingness of your boyfriend and how much he (and the neighbors, if any) are willing to let you do.

One huge question is where you live and go to school.  If it's an area with harsh winters you may wish you were in something other than an RV.  They are designed for vacations and it's assumed to be during the summer so insulation usually isn't very good and heating can be very expensive.  As to a motorhome, if it's going to sit for extended periods that's not good for component parts.  Motorhomes like to be driven so rubber doesn't dry out, etc.

Here's an alternative.  My nephew also is in college.  He rents an old fashioned trailer is a trailer park.  He's in northern West Virginia and last winter was especially harsh.  He said they were quite comfortable.  This type of trailer is meant to be lived in full-time and to stay put so utilities are more similar to a house, such as sewers and city water, no waste holding tanks, etc.  Granted, you wouldn't be able to use it after you start working but your life might be so busy then that you won't have time to travel anyway.  I think this would be a better alternative.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
  He rents an old fashioned trailer is a trailer park.  He's in northern West Virginia and last winter was especially harsh. 

Ardra, I believe you are talking about what is called a park model trailer.

I'm not sure what category they fall into,  Rene.  They make them as single-wide and double-wide.  The park models I've seen are a lot more fancy and home-like than the kind I'm thinking about.  You often see them being hauled down the highway to their permanent location.  The double wide variety have one side open and usually covered with plastic.  In years gone by they were trailers and stayed in what we called trailer parks, as opposed to RV parks and campgrounds which imply transiency.  Whatever they're called, he has a hot water heater, regular plumbing, etc. which are more suitable for long-term stays.

ArdraF

They are called double wide trailers/mobile homes in my neck of the woods. Some people feel insulted when we say trailers. They want to hear them called manufactured homes. Whatever. 

Thank you, Rene.  Mobile homes just wouldn't come out of my pea brain today!  :( :-[  Regardless of what they're called we still see "trailer parks" in a few places.  In fact, we often stay in one of two transient sites they have at one near Jerry's sister's home.  It's the most convenient for us when visiting.

ArdraF

Almost no campground or even trailer park  is going to let you stay with five dogs, so you really do need a place on private land.  However, some questions:
  • Are you certain there are no zoning restrictions against a trailer being lived in on private properly?  These may be hidden in some thick books that the city or township uses.  You really need to consult a lawyer who is familiar with real estate in your area before you go out and buy something. Even if it does not specifically list RVs, there may be rules about the minimum square footage.  This is something that people who buy tiny houses often get into trouble about.
  • How far are the closest neighbors to your boyfriend?  If they get irritated with five barking dogs, they might appeal to the township or city board of zoning.

Also, do not make the mistake of thinking that an RV is cheaper to live in than an apartment or house.  I know your dogs are a problem, but RVs have more expensive systems than a regular house or apartment. For example, a new refrigerator can cost $3,000. 

Doublewides are considered manufactured housing, and have pretty much nothing in common with an RV, and are not considered rv's. A "trailer park" is not an RV park,resort, or campground. Most won't accept rv's. Single wide and doublewides are in a completely different world.

There are "park model" RVs which are intended to stay in RV parks, but moved very seldom because they are not very aerodynamic.  They are built on trailer chassis and are towable, however, they probably won't have holding tanks for waste as they are intended to be parked long-term.  Many people like these for seasonal use because they are better insulated than regular RVs, but still can be moved if you want to move them.  They do tend to be heavier than regular trailers, however.  Here are a couple of sites showing park models: 
  • https://gorving.com/compare-rvs/park-model-rvs
  • https://www.crossroadstrailers.com/blog/index.php/what-is-a-destination-trailer/

A park model would be appropriate for someone who owns property and has a septic system and well for water, plus electrical hookup.  Some people also like them situated year-round in resort-type RV parks that are on lakes.

Doublewides are considered manufactured housing, and have pretty much nothing in common with an RV, and are not considered rv's. A "trailer park" is not an RV park, resort, or campground. Most won't accept rv's. Single wide and doublewides are in a completely different world.

Exactly!  And that is why I'm suggesting them instead of an RV for this particular situation.  I think LivingwithDogs is trying to fulfill too many needs with an RV that will cause her all kinds of problems.  Remember she is a college student with another two years to go and trying to find something that suits many needs.  It's not surprising that she feels overwhelmed because it appears she might have unrealistic expectations of what she can do with an RV so perhaps needs to consider non-RV alternatives.

ArdraF

It's time to find good homes for the dogs.

You're not doing them any favor by leaving them locked up in an RV for the next two years while you attend school. And newly graduated nurses don't exactly get lots of options for great work schedules that allow time to properly care for a pack of dogs.

Growing up sometimes means difficult decisions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom