The day the Music Died... Well Peggy Sue at least.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John From Detroit

Peggy Sue Gerron, ex-K5PSG, of Lubbock, Texas, who inspired singer Buddy Holly's 1957 rockabilly hit "Peggy Sue," died on October 1. She was 78. First licensed in 2004 as KE5AKW, she later obtained the vanity call K5PSG.

Wow.  Some things you never even think about (re the inspiration behind a song).  And then the added tidbit that she (in this case) was a Ham Op.  Thanks for this very cool bit of knowledge.  And rest in peace Peggy Sue.

I saw the news of her death and they said that the song was originally going to be Cathy Sue but someone decided that Peggy Sue sounded better.  Not sure if it was attributed to her but let's assume it was.

Bill

Peggy Sue was the name of the girlfriend of the Crickets drummer Jerry Allison. Originally the song was called Cindy Lou named for Holly's niece. The ironic thing about that song is that five years later a one hit wonder, Tommy Roe copied the song and no one said a word. Almost the exact same drum beat and even includes some Holly hiccups. The song is called Sheila. I am surprised he didn't call it Cindy Lou.

https://youtu.be/oDWM3bLEB3M

Here I am on stage at the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake Iowa, the very stage Buddy played on the 'night the music died'.

Attachments

• Tom 2004-32 (1).jpg
    Tom 2004-32 (1).jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 29
Bill N said:
I saw the news of her death and they said that the song was originally going to be Cathy Sue but someone decided that Peggy Sue sounded better.  Not sure if it was attributed to her but let's assume it was.

Bill

The report I saw said it was always Peggy Sue.
The "Myth" is that she was Buddy Holly's girlfriend. She was not
She was, however, the Girl Friend of one of the members of his "Band".
And Buddy Holly wrote the song as a favor to him.

She was also a Ham Radio operator. which is why I was notified of her death.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom