rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Where Has All the Storage Gone?  (Read 783 times)

PancakeBill

• ---
  • Bill & Jolene/USA 00 Winnebago Adventurer 37G
    • WorKamping in Santa Fe and Tucson
Where Has All the Storage Gone?
« on: October 04, 2018, 08:43:40 PM »
Back in my sales days I would hear this often, a couple trades in their xx' motorhome on a new xx+' motorhome, then they start transferring their stuff.  Where has all the storage gone?  We had more drawers, closet, fridge etc.

Well this time it was our turn, went from 35' no slide to a 37' 1 slide.  Then again, we are also moving out a a 7 year 3 bedroom residence, and we tend to accumulate.  Hard to say goodbye to stuff.  Today, we are getting closer to getting on the road, the 35' has been put into storage, will sell in the spring.  so, now, it is get the stuff out of the apartment by Sunday, have a cleaner coming join to take our load off on Monday, and Tuesday we get the signout. 

The 37 is full!  Been mostly aware of weight etc, been very watchful of what we are taking.  Only 1 deep fryer!  Tough job, but we have done it in the past, we can do it again.

So all together to the tune of, (well you like know),  Where has all the storage gone, long time collecting,  one more time.

Bill & Jolene W & Koda

Retired from Old Faithful, On The Road for a bit
2000 Winnebago Adventurer 37G
2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara.
2012 Dodge Grand Caravan
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • We go where our wheels take us!
Re: Where Has All the Storage Gone?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 08:53:00 PM »
When we switched from a 33' Class A with no slides to a 34' Class A with a single super slide, we had no problem fitting everything in, but with all the storage space differences in size, shape, etc., figuring out what went where was a challenge at times. The one loss of space that was really problematic was going from two half height pass through bins down to one due to the slide. It took some juggling to sort that one out and get all the long stuff into the one spot.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 09:28:11 PM »
well, the Winnebago with the res/ac used up a bay and there is a 1/2 height that that was a full height], plus it is a Tetris game, what will fit where.  Interesting, but at least we have everything out of the Southwind and it is out of sight.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 09:47:25 PM by SargeW »
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 09:50:17 PM »
We had the same experience as Dutch. I have had 4 different RV's, each one a little bigger than the last. And I swore that each was smaller then the one I got rid of.  Then I spent time readjusting to the different size and shapes of the new rig, and lo and behold, it all fit plus some.  A "Tetris Game" is a good description of the process.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2018
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 08:55:26 AM »
Try quickly going from a three bedroom house, two car garage, a workshop the size of a two car garage, and a 10x23 shed into a 33' class C that was bought for camping, not fulltiming.  ;D
Barrels of fun.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2012 Redwood 36RL
2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Old_Crow

• ---
  • Phormer Phantom Phixer
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 09:24:59 AM »
We went from 29', no slide to 37' and one slide.  I had several things(like the dog pen)that wouldn't fit in the new coach because of the drivers side storage bays being hooked to the slide instead of staying with the frame.
I appreciate not having to hit my head on the slide when getting stuff out of there, but I sure would have appreciated at least one full width bay more.
Wally Crow
Retired 30 year ASE Master Auto Tech
Y2K Bounder 36S F53
'03 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 11:28:57 PM »
We went from a 28’ with one slide to a 33’ with 2 slides. The new one had 50% more outside storage. And we filled that sucker up then started getting rid of stuff. I couldn’t believe how much kitchen storage I lost. And then there was that lovely space in the old one alongside the bed where I could pile books. I lost that with the bedroom slide, extra room when the slide’s out but not when it’s retracted.
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2018, 11:49:53 PM »
We popped into our dealer yesterday for some odds and ends and had a look around the stock in the yard.  We saw a couple of really nice trailers but the outside storage bins were non existent.  Where do you keep the BBQ, chairs, cleaning stuff, hoses, etc.?  Very odd.  Some nice storage inside but you wouldn't keep those things indoors.

We are still happy with our current choice which is good, although we were surprised at how good a few of the prices were for the size of the trailers and 5th wheels.
Jackie n Steve - Happy Scottish Travellers

2017 Heartland Sundance 288rls
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi

Back home in Scotland awaiting May 2019

Arch Hoagland

• ---
  • Clovis CA
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018, 12:09:50 AM »
Dishwashers, clothes washer and drier, residential refrigerators, fireplaces, bigger inverters, more batteries, more televisions,,,etc

All the fancy doodad stuff slowly takes over. 

« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 12:12:58 AM by Arch Hoagland »
2004 Monaco La Palma 36 DBD
W22, 8.1 gas,  Allison 1000 Transmission
7.1 MPG over 90,000 miles

2000 Lexus RX300, 4020lb
U.S. Gear Braking System

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2018, 08:06:44 PM »
DW is talking about getting rid of the Splendide W/D combo.  Look at all the storage we will gain she says.  We have only been in new rig a week, still have access to sticks and bricks, so doing all laundry there for now.  That ends on Tuesday though. 

I will wait, not just going to pull and leave by side of the road, but she needs to try it first.
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

PopPop51

• ---
    • Uptown Tech
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2018, 08:32:33 PM »
Even in light travel trailers I've seen a lot of storage lost to "feature creep" in recent years: Big fancy outdoor kitchens with full sinks and refrigerators compared to our flip-down 2-burner range tucked into the wall behind the kitchen sink. Queen and double-wide bunks in place of our two coffin-sized stackers above a full-length storage cubby. Roomier bathrooms. Bulky overstuffed recliners. Fireplaces. 60" TVs. And so on.
I blame human nature, because those storage-sucking features apparently sell RVs. I've yet to see a similarly-sized trailer with as much storage as ours, but I don't think Keystone sold very many of them as the model lasted only a couple of years and I've never seen another one in the wild.
Paul--
2004 Ford Excursion V-10 ("Moose")
2010 Keystone Outback 270BH ("Squirrel")
2016 Mazda MX5 Miata ("Roadster")
##40 States So Far...##

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2018, 05:26:43 AM »
We have been looking at a LOT of fifth wheels and see some of the same thing. Some are set up pretty good for storage, and some we're "what were they thinking?" " Were they even thinking at all?" We looked at a new Pinnacle that was fantastic until we got to the bedroom. It had one little wardrobe about 20" wide for hanging clothes. It was set up for side by side washer and dryer. I guess they assumed one would use the dryer area for a wardrobe. In the front where a wardrobe normally is, they had a couch going all the way across. Totally useless in my opinion. Why would someone need a couch in their bedroom?

2012 Redwood 36RL
2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Joezeppy

• ---
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2018, 07:25:28 AM »
Our 35' 5th wheel has tons of outdoor storage compared to our 29' TT but is lacking kitchen cabinet space. We had a huge pantry in the TT that we really miss. We love the 5er's floor plan but after 3 years we're still trying to figure out indoor storage!
Joe & Kim
Upstate NY - Kuyahoora Valley
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD - 6.0L
2017 Keystone Hideout 295BHS
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th wheel hitch

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2018, 09:12:18 AM »
To look at things from a different perspective, maybe one has too much stuff. ;D

2012 Redwood 36RL
2016 Leprechaun 319DS

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2018, 01:55:26 PM »
But what about that contest, 'He who dies with the most toys, wins!'  ???

Bill & Jolene W & Koda

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2018, 03:55:41 PM »
He who dies with the most toys is still dead.

2012 Redwood 36RL
2016 Leprechaun 319DS

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2018, 04:01:46 PM »
I want a U-haul towed behind my hearse, with tag, 'taking it with me'.

and as long as we are still here, it is important to keep our sense of humor.
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2018, 08:03:07 PM »
I want a U-haul towed behind my hearse, with tag, 'taking it with me'.

and as long as we are still here, it is important to keep our sense of humor.

Agree. Sometimes it's hard to express humor while writing on a forum.

2012 Redwood 36RL
2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Hanr3

• ---
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2018, 08:17:27 PM »
To look at things from a different perspective, maybe one has too much stuff. ;D

Yep, take only what you need. Filter out all the one time use items and you'll free up a ton of space.
2016 F150 3.5L Ecoboost XLT
2019 K-Z 231RK Sportsmen
1997 16' Sylvan Back Troller Select

MikeFromMesa

• ---
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2018, 08:00:02 AM »
Back in my sales days I would hear this often, a couple trades in their xx' motorhome on a new xx+' motorhome, then they start transferring their stuff.  Where has all the storage gone?  We had more drawers, closet, fridge etc.

Well this time it was our turn, went from 35' no slide to a 37' 1 slide.  Then again, we are also moving out a a 7 year 3 bedroom residence, and we tend to accumulate.  Hard to say goodbye to stuff.  Today, we are getting closer to getting on the road, the 35' has been put into storage, will sell in the spring.  so, now, it is get the stuff out of the apartment by Sunday, have a cleaner coming join to take our load off on Monday, and Tuesday we get the signout. 

The 37 is full!  Been mostly aware of weight etc, been very watchful of what we are taking.  Only 1 deep fryer!  Tough job, but we have done it in the past, we can do it again.

So all together to the tune of, (well you like know),  Where has all the storage gone, long time collecting,  one more time.

Even the really small RVs have the same issue. We just went through the upgrade process as well, but we went from a 2005 Pleasure-Way Class B RV to a 2018 Winnebago Era Class B RV and found exactly the same sort of thing, even in Class B RVs where there is not much storage to begin with.

Our Pleasure-Way had 2 external storage compartments. They were not big, but they were big enough for us to store our fold-away chairs in them as well as our leveling blocks, electric cord and water hose. The new Class B RVs are almost all built on the Mercedes chassis and they have no external storage compartments. None. Zero. Zip. When I asked the sales people where we were supposed to put our stuff they suggested a tow hitch cargo carrier, but I personally do not see why the manufacturers decided that we did not need any external storage.

I thought we were going to end up with either a Class C or a small Class A (24 foot Thor Vegas), both of which my wife refers to as "real RVs", but we found one Class B with some internal storage behind the rear sofa, and that is what we ended up with. Still, why the loss of all of the storage locations?

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2018, 01:26:46 PM »
Yep, take only what you need. Filter out all the one time use items and you'll free up a ton of space.

We are prone to Parkinson's Law - we always fill the space we have.....
Jackie n Steve - Happy Scottish Travellers

2017 Heartland Sundance 288rls
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi

Back home in Scotland awaiting May 2019

Spike1306

• ---
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2018, 10:01:24 AM »
I suppose the only way to get what you want without all the gadgets and white goods is to have a RV custom built to what you need as opposed to what the manufacturer thinks you need.

A Lot of you guys have had RV's for years so i understand your pain but coming from a person that rented their first RV last year and looking at the new models available the white goods and the Tv's etc look so appealing, home from home so to speak.

To us even the 35' Class c we hired seemed to have more space than we could fill (ok we where on holiday) but then I started to look at the space available and thought what the hell would you put in there its tiny and you could not take this and that as there is no room.

lhemrick

• ---
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2018, 10:15:14 AM »
Most Campers today have "Light" in their name. My guess is that this is a way to keep them that way. Less storage the less crap you can pack in one thus less weight!  Had a 88 Coachman. Just bought a 2013 Salem Cruise Light. Only a third of the junk would swap! Didn't need all that stuff anyway.