New Law Lets The Government Shoot Down Drones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Having lived in Utah where airborne firefighting efforts have had to be stopped because of drones, I think it is about time! Far too many drone operators violate protected airspace.

UTTransplant said:
Having lived in Utah where airborne firefighting efforts have had to be stopped because of drones, I think it is about time! Far too many drone operators violate protected airspace.
Agree 100 percent.  And if this thread lasts more than one or two more responses I will be amazed because it reeks of political discussion and we all know where that leads..................to the dumpster.........lol

Bill

I can see the merit in giving law enforcement agencies the power to act quickly in this age of terrorist and other threats when a suspected or obvious drone threat is imminent. If the drone owner then feels the agency acted improperly it can be fought out in court later. There may not be time beforehand. A drone violating restricted air space might be one example...

I have heard of several reports where fire fighting air ships had to be grounded due to drone activity. I am amazed to think that anyone would think it's OK to fly a drone under those conditions. All owners should be prosecuted if found, IMHO.

Wouldn?t it suck if your Amazon order being delivered by drone was shot down by an F-15. Or your Pizza Hut order.

We live within a few miles of Dover AFB. Wonder how close proximity to a military installation will affect drone operations.

I have nothing against it.
They have banned them from our RV park and I am all for it.
Nothing like sitting at your camp site enjoying a glass of wine and all of a sudden there is a drone hovering over your head.

On the other hand maybe there should be some kind of permitting for them - My wife and I recently participated in the Adarondack 90 mile canoe classic and when we came across the ten mile length of Long Lake, there was a drone directly over us (flying right at us , then over us and then coming from behind us ) before taking off  to video other paddlers.
I don't have a clue who it was, but I am assuming it was from a news station, and I would love to see that video.

Like everything else, there are good points as well as bad points about them

Jack L

There was an attempted assassination with a drone carrying a bomb in So. America a couple weeks ago.

I'm surprised one hasn't been in-jested into a jet intake... or gone thru a Prop.... YET. Something needed and needs to be done. With all the fires out here in Cali.. private Drones are an ongoing problem for the firefighters too.

Drones certainly have their place for military and civilian use but far too many people have been irresponsible with them and it will only get worse. We have seen firefighting aircraft grounded because of interference, it is only a matter of time before somebody gets killed. Regulations only help after the fact, first the perps must be identified and apprehended.

You can't ban civilian use drones.

It would kill one of the greatest photographic advancements of the century.

Oldgator73 said:
Do you think the military will use drones to shoot the offending drones down? We could watch a drone dogfight in the skies above our house.
they'll drop a net on them, .... silent death.

sightseers said:
You can't ban civilian use drones.

It would kill one of the greatest photographic advancements of the century.

I have to agree.  I have a drone that I use for photography that produces amazing images.  It is registered with the FAA and bears registration stickers on the drone and battery.  I call ATC whenever I am anywhere within 5 miles of any airport.  I never fly over people who I don't know or public parks where prohibited, but I feel that I have as much right to fly my drone as do private pilots who fly over my home.  The air space belongs to all of us. There are those who say they create noise disturbance, but never complain about motorcycles.  There are those who say they invade privacy, but there has yet to be a drone with a zoom lens that shows much of anything. I can imagine that biggest critics would be quick to welcome my drone if I were engaged in a search and rescue for a missing relative.

That said there are some irresponsible drone owners who are not a respectful and compliant as me.  For this I suggest that all drones that require registration also have a transponder.  I believe that some already have these, but are these are not being used for tracking.  With this, it would be trivial to see who was violating air space being used for firefighting.  My drone has geozones, as do all DJI drones, making it easy for me to see if you are in a forbidden zone.  I cannot fly unless I acknowledge that I am in such a zone and have notified the ATC. If I were in a forbidden zone without notification then I would have no issue with it being "shot down" (easier said than done) or otherwise disabled (easier).

I think much of the disdain for drones comes from a lack of familiarity with the capability of modern hobby drones. Most people I know fly these a relatively low altitudes (<200 ft )and in very solitary places.

JoelP said:
I think much of the disdain for drones comes from a lack of familiarity with the capability of modern hobby drones. Most people I know fly these a relatively low altitudes (<200 ft )and in very solitary places.
I am actually quite knowledgeable about drones and civil airspace. I worked in both commercial and military aerospace for more than 30 years, the last few years working with military UAVs (drones). I spent more than 10 years working on flight management systems, receiving initial FAA certifications on a number of projects. If the requirements for drones were the same as other commercial aircraft, I would agree with you that they should be permitted. However the requirements are not the same. Training in National Airspace Regulations? Nope. Regular testing of skills and regulatory knowledge? Nope. Insurance requirements? Nope. Drones being flown to get ?cool pictures? have harassed endangered animals and birds away from their young. They have grounded airborne fire fighting. We had one hang out in our campsite, flying around us, hovering just above our group, and generally being a pain in he ass. And yes, they have hit human flown aircraft. Until all, not some, drone operators have training and knowledge a human pilot gets, they should be severely restricted.

For this I suggest that all drones that require registration also have a transponder.

Do they make transponders that light and small? Can they carry the antenna, also? Obviously some of the larger ones can, but last I heard (I've not checked recently) registration was required for any unit much over half a pound, and those smaller ones don't have much power for carrying anything but themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I think there is way too much abuse of drone flying, even though it's far from all drone operators doing it, but I'm thinking practical. So it would have to be size/power related, as well.

Our city has a ban on remote flying vehicles long before drones were invented. The ban was implemented for Cox airplanes and helicopters. We have special "airports" for those activities, most owned by clubs.

Larry N. said:
Do they make transponders that light and small? Can they carry the antenna, also? Obviously some of the larger ones can, but last I heard (I've not checked recently) registration was required for any unit much over half a pound, and those smaller ones don't have much power for carrying anything but themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I think there is way too much abuse of drone flying, even though it's far from all drone operators doing it, but I'm thinking practical. So it would have to be size/power related, as well.

How about 20 grams?  ;)

https://uavionix.com/products/ping2020/

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom