New Law Lets The Government Shoot Down Drones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Arch Hoagland said:
I'd be curious to know how they are going to shoot it down.

How else:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M101_howitzer

They had what we called a beehive round. It had 1000's of small little darts inside the round and you'd set the timer to go off at a predetermined time.

NY_Dutch said:
How about 20 grams?  ;)

https://uavionix.com/products/ping2020/
And how heavy is the battery that is needed to provide the 30 watts it needs, in addition to that needed to fly? On a unit that weighs less than a pound, or even a couple of pounds?

A DJI is much bigger and heavier and maybe it has the power (both battery and motor) available to carry that battery too, but those small ones don't. For example, this Parrot model weighs 500 grams (about 1.6 lbs). How do you get 30 watts of additional battery on it for "Up to 25 min?" And where does the motor power come from to carry that extra weight, especially at 5,000 feet elevation or more (I live at 5230 feet)?

sightseers said:
You can't ban civilian use drones.

It would kill one of the greatest photographic advancements of the century.
No you will never kill it but you must regulate it just as the FAA regulates airplane flights and, yes, I do mean filing a flight plan even if it means just for a local area.  Avoidance of conflicts in the air is a must.

Bill

Larry N. said:
And how heavy is the battery that is needed to provide the 30 watts it needs, in addition to that needed to fly? On a unit that weighs less than a pound, or even a couple of pounds?

A DJI is much bigger and heavier and maybe it has the power (both battery and motor) available to carry that battery too, but those small ones don't. For example, this Parrot model weighs 500 grams (about 1.6 lbs). How do you get 30 watts of additional battery on it for "Up to 25 min?" And where does the motor power come from to carry that extra weight, especially at 5,000 feet elevation or more (I live at 5230 feet)?

I have no idea of the weight limits of the available personal use drones. I just looked for the lightest transponder I could find with a quick search.

Bill N said:
No you will never kill it but you must regulate it just as the FAA regulates airplane flights and, yes, I do mean filing a flight plan even if it means just for a local area.  Avoidance of conflicts in the air is a must.

Bill
Bill,
I hope you (and many others) understand that a flight plan (unless under instrument flight rules, or IFR) doesn't get sent to air traffic control. It's sole purpose is to get the search folks out for you if you are more than 30 minutes overdue (that is, you don't close your flight plan by then).

just as the FAA regulates airplane flights
Not all flights are "regulated" in the sense you seem to mean, other than the need to follow specific rules (distance from structures, clearance from clouds, etc.), that is, unless you are in certain airspace or flying under IFR. So the FAA/ATC (Air Traffic Control) will never know about these flights. And some rules are already in place, but many "drone operators" ignore those rules, or some don't even know about them.

If you add actual contact with ATC (as it sounds to me) then we'd suddenly need a lot more ATC facilities and controllers. And even the FAA's newer radar facilities still have their capacity limitations -- I don't know how much extra traffic it would be, but I could see the possibility of a lot, depending on what actual rules were adopted.

It's not as simple as it sounds to some folks.

Like many issues, including RV parks, the key to success is not as much in the rules as it is in the enforcement of the rules. Fear of getting caught is a powerful deterrent...

Drones are basically no different than remote control model airplanes, and as such, are governed under those same "hobby" rules.  Once you cross over hobby line and into flying for hire......real estate, photography, news media, etc, there are more stringent rules in place.  And as with any other set of laws or regulations, some folks choose to abide by them and some don't........highway speeds for example!

And speaking of RV parks, one of the campgrounds that we like in Chattanooga is very scenic and I called ahead to see if they would allow me to bring my drone and do a short flight just to capture the beauty of their campground.  They have an area towards the back of the CG that really does not have camping spaces and only a building that is used for meetings/conferences/family gatherings and such.  I told them that I would like to take the drone back there, launch it up a and basically do a 360 view of the campground and surrounding areas, and stay away from any of the campsites.  They had zero issues with me doing that, and I was not within a 5 mile radius of an airport.  We ended up cancelling the reservation and staying in another location that was better suited to our activities while we were in the area, but hopefully, we will go back there again.

Interesting article, I was at the festival yesterday and did not see or hear one drone.  And there were tons of LEO all throughout the crowd, so there were eyes everywhere.

Arch Hoagland said:
I'd be curious to know how they are going to shoot it down.
You don?t ?shoot? them down, you jammthe 2.4GHz control receiver. That forces the flight controller to revert to ?RTH? mode. then you also jam the 1.5GHz GPS receiver so it now doesn?t know where Home really is. At that point the theory is it will land where it is. These devices exist and look like rifles with beam antennas on them and they are reasonably effective, but the problem is they?re highly regulated (they have to be), likely still to military only because jamming GPS downlinks is not only illegal, its extremely dangerous to other nearby aircraft or other devices using GPS reference, and that includes shutting down major communications links at the scene. Either of those system failures will also kill air ops in a heartbeat.

Unlike 99.9% of these appliance operators that bought theirs and really have no clue, I built mine long before they were ?for sale?. Its big, its fast, and with carbon fibre blades, and its really dangerous. When it flies, there is NOBODY in front of me, and its never flown around a populous area or anyplace there are active air ops in progress. I?m not a licensed pilot but have spent several hundred hours flying (when the pilot lets me have the controls), and passenger in news ops over Los Angeles and am particularly keen on safety in the sky and know how fast things can go really wrong.

Its too bad those 99%+ have ruined it for the rest of us. The train on regulating these things left a long time ago, mostly because the FAA caved to pressure for doing nothing at the time. All that can be done now is actively confiscate offenders with big fines, and educate the rest that this WILL happen to them as well.

SCVJeff said:
You don?t ?shoot? them down, you jammthe 2.4GHz control receiver. That forces the flight controller to revert to ?RTH? mode. then you also jam the 1.5GHz GPS receiver so it now doesn?t know where Home really is. At that point the theory is it will land where it is. These devices exist and look like rifles with beam antennas on them and they are reasonably effective, but the problem is they?re highly regulated (they have to be), likely still to military only because jamming GPS downlinks is not only illegal, its extremely dangerous to other nearby aircraft or other devices using GPS reference, and that includes shutting down major communications links at the scene. Either of those system failures will also kill air ops in a heartbeat.

Unlike 99.9% of these appliance operators that bought theirs and really have no clue, I built mine long before they were ?for sale?. Its big, its fast, and with carbon fibre blades, and its really dangerous. When it flies, there is NOBODY in front of me, and its never flown around a populous area or anyplace there are active air ops in progress. I?m not a licensed pilot but have spent several hundred hours flying (when the pilot lets me have the controls), and passenger in news ops over Los Angeles and am particularly keen on safety in the sky and know how fast things can go really wrong.

Its too bad those 99%+ have ruined it for the rest of us. The train on regulating these things left a long time ago, mostly because the FAA caved to pressure for doing nothing at the time. All that can be done now is actively confiscate offenders with big fines, and educate the rest that this WILL happen to them as well.

Thanks for the explanation!!!!

Oldgator73 said:
Gatwick IH in the UK was shut down last night due to drones spotted at the end of the runways. Not sure when it will open but there will be a huge backlog when reopened.

"If we were to reopen today we will first repatriate passengers who are in the wrong place which could take several days."

jackiemac said:
They're saying it might be closed all,day tomorrow too! Madness.

That's just crazy...But I don't blame them for shutting it down.

Gizmo100 said:
That's just crazy...But I don't blame them for shutting it down.
It opened for a while then opened again.

The French police have trained eagles to take them down apparently!!

You tube eagle vs drone

Back
Top Bottom