rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: New Law Lets The Government Shoot Down Drones  (Read 891 times)

Optimistic Paranoid

• ---
  • On the Road to Come What May
Rule #1 for Boondockers: DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!
My Body is a Temple!  Ancient, Crumbling, Probably Cursed...
I don't like to make advanced plans.  They cause the word "PREMEDITATED" to get used in court!

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
Re: New Law Lets The Government Shoot Down Drones
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2018, 09:20:08 AM »
Interesting article, I was at the festival yesterday and did not see or hear one drone.  And there were tons of LEO all throughout the crowd, so there were eyes everywhere.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2018
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

SCVJeff

• ---
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2018, 03:22:34 AM »
I'd be curious to know how they are going to shoot it down.
You don’t “shoot” them down, you jammthe 2.4GHz control receiver. That forces the flight controller to revert to ‘RTH’ mode. then you also jam the 1.5GHz GPS receiver so it now doesn’t know where Home really is. At that point the theory is it will land where it is. These devices exist and look like rifles with beam antennas on them and they are reasonably effective, but the problem is they’re highly regulated (they have to be), likely still to military only because jamming GPS downlinks is not only illegal, its extremely dangerous to other nearby aircraft or other devices using GPS reference, and that includes shutting down major communications links at the scene. Either of those system failures will also kill air ops in a heartbeat.

Unlike 99.9% of these appliance operators that bought theirs and really have no clue, I built mine long before they were “for sale”. Its big, its fast, and with carbon fibre blades, and its really dangerous. When it flies, there is NOBODY in front of me, and its never flown around a populous area or anyplace there are active air ops in progress. I’m not a licensed pilot but have spent several hundred hours flying (when the pilot lets me have the controls), and passenger in news ops over Los Angeles and am particularly keen on safety in the sky and know how fast things can go really wrong.

Its too bad those 99%+ have ruined it for the rest of us. The train on regulating these things left a long time ago, mostly because the FAA caved to pressure for doing nothing at the time. All that can be done now is actively confiscate offenders with big fines, and educate the rest that this WILL happen to them as well.

Arch Hoagland

• ---
  • Clovis CA
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2018, 10:44:46 AM »
You don’t “shoot” them down, you jammthe 2.4GHz control receiver. That forces the flight controller to revert to ‘RTH’ mode. then you also jam the 1.5GHz GPS receiver so it now doesn’t know where Home really is. At that point the theory is it will land where it is. These devices exist and look like rifles with beam antennas on them and they are reasonably effective, but the problem is they’re highly regulated (they have to be), likely still to military only because jamming GPS downlinks is not only illegal, its extremely dangerous to other nearby aircraft or other devices using GPS reference, and that includes shutting down major communications links at the scene. Either of those system failures will also kill air ops in a heartbeat.

Unlike 99.9% of these appliance operators that bought theirs and really have no clue, I built mine long before they were “for sale”. Its big, its fast, and with carbon fibre blades, and its really dangerous. When it flies, there is NOBODY in front of me, and its never flown around a populous area or anyplace there are active air ops in progress. I’m not a licensed pilot but have spent several hundred hours flying (when the pilot lets me have the controls), and passenger in news ops over Los Angeles and am particularly keen on safety in the sky and know how fast things can go really wrong.

Its too bad those 99%+ have ruined it for the rest of us. The train on regulating these things left a long time ago, mostly because the FAA caved to pressure for doing nothing at the time. All that can be done now is actively confiscate offenders with big fines, and educate the rest that this WILL happen to them as well.

Thanks for the explanation!!!!

2004 Monaco La Palma 36 DBD
W22, 8.1 gas,  Allison 1000 Transmission
7.1 MPG over 90,000 miles

2000 Lexus RX300, 4020lb
U.S. Gear Braking System