rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: These tow capacity numbers can't be right  (Read 1175 times)

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Re: These tow capacity numbers can't be right
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2018, 11:23:10 PM »
Hmm...I wonder if the Hummer H1's had clearance lights ?

Yes.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2018, 11:18:14 AM »
I didn't mean to throw us off on a tangent about marker lights.   The point is that the truck will be factory equipped to comply with the federal FMVSS regs that apply to its vehicle class for the year it is built.   Weight, width and height are the main determinants.  You don't get to make your own option call on that - the factory is required to comply if the truck configuration exceeds any of the parameters.  You can add stuff that isn't required, but you cannot opt out.

That states, though, soften use vehicle class designations in their title & registration fee scale. Pennsylvania, for example, charges based on truck gross weight (GVWR) with tiers of 5000-7000, 7001-9000, 9001-10,000, etc.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 11:26:09 AM by Gary RV_Wizard »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Hanr3

• ---
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2018, 10:48:14 PM »
Isn't there a frame thickness difference between the 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, and 1 tons? Thought I read someplace that the material thickness increases with load/carrying capacity of the various ton trucks. 3/4 tons have thicker frame material than 1/2 tons, and 1 tons have thicker frame material than 3/4 tons. If that is true, swapping springs and such won't increase the strength of the frame.
2016 F150 3.5L Ecoboost XLT
2019 K-Z 231RK Sportsmen
1997 16' Sylvan Back Troller Select

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2018, 05:07:55 AM »
There may be a difference in the thickness, but the designs are the biggest difference between half tons and the others. Many 3/4 &1 tons use the exact same frame. I'm not sure of other years, but Ford used the same frame for F250s to F450s from 2011 to 2016. Same part number for all, depending on wheelbase.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2012 Redwood 36RL
2016 Leprechaun 319DS

SarniaTricia

• ---
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2018, 09:41:35 AM »
What I find crazy is the price!!!

I attribute the $$ to the people that buy trucks as daily drivers!... not so much the people that use them ... but the people that buy 250s (2500) diesel dual  ... and have no plans to haul anything at all... in the box or behind the vehicle...

There are a lot of people like this in my office!!
They like to put coolers in the back... that's about all the truck will ever carry!!
Don't get me wrong... I learned to drive on a truck that was our daily driver; but she worked just as hard as the rest of us and she sure as heck didn't get a wash and wax weekly!!!

The pick-up has become more of a status symbol and less of a work horse.
Makes it hard to get one... without breaking the bank!
I feel like finding a truck that isn't decked out with all the fancy trim packages is becoming difficult... and finding one that has bare bones options to make it a WORK vehicle is almost impossible!
Driving a 2000 Astro Van - On the hunt for a new TT under 3,000lbs
Camping to relax and attend rabbit shows!
Home: Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2018, 10:00:25 AM »
Isn't there a frame thickness difference between the 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, and 1 tons?
Among the Big Three (Ford, GMC/Chevy, Ram), the half tons use a different chassis than the 3/4 & 1-tons.  Half tons are generally designed to be more car-like, reflecting their primary use personal transport, even the "work truck" versions.  The larger trucks share a chassis but have different bolt-on components, e.g. axles, suspension, wheels, tires, etc.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

sightseers

• ---
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2018, 05:53:54 PM »

The pick-up has become more of a status symbol and less of a work horse.

Everything is a status symbol....the clothes you wear,  the truck you drive,  the RV you own,

..why would a man wear a $10k Rolex watch...is it just to tell time ?

« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 05:56:28 PM by sightseers »

xrated

• ---
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2018, 06:36:36 PM »
Everything is a status symbol....the clothes you wear,  the truck you drive,  the RV you own,

..why would a man wear a $10k Rolex watch...is it just to tell time ?

Maybe it is in your world, but not mine!
2016 F350 Crew Cab Dually King Ranch Diesel
2017 Keystone Fuzion Impact 303
Track Bike  2008 GSX-R750
"If it ain't Fast......It ain't Fun

sightseers

• ---
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2018, 08:36:23 PM »
Maybe it is in your world, but not mine!

some might say a King Ranch is the Rolex of pickups... ;)

Hanr3

• ---
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2018, 09:24:22 PM »

Ditto! I could care less if the truck has power anything. However it's impossible to find one capable without the options.
Ever hear of the millionaire next door? I know a few that you would never know by looking at them or the car they drive. Clothes that are 20 years old, car with 150,000+ miles, a modest home, etc. 
2016 F150 3.5L Ecoboost XLT
2019 K-Z 231RK Sportsmen
1997 16' Sylvan Back Troller Select

xrated

• ---
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2018, 04:48:45 AM »

Some might also say that working as a Maint. Electrician in an industrial environment is not exactly "status symbol", neither is a 10 year old work car with 185,000 miles on it.  And my "status" is definitely "blue collar worker", and has been since the day I started working in 1970.  I've definitely lived a "moderate" lifestyle, lived within my  means, and really don't care what anyone thinks about what I have or don't have.  I'd much rather they like/respect me for who I am....a hard working/honest person that helps others when I can and tries to live my life and treat others the way that I would like to be treated.

sightseers

• ---
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2018, 10:06:39 AM »
Yes,  you did it right.

and that's probably what everyone thinks when you drive in....

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2018, 10:13:41 AM »
An item can be both a status symbol AND have some extra value, e.g. more comfortable or more capable in some manner.  Windshield wipers on headlights, watches that show time in multiple time zones,  clothing that wicks moisture away, etc.  Ancillary functions are common in status symbols as well, e.g. the umbrella that comes with a Rolls Royce.  The extras are rarely in proportion to the increased price, but they are part of it.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

sightseers

• ---
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2018, 11:05:50 AM »
I wounder if you could even order a King Ranch... with an exterior trim delete ?

but then why would anyone do that ? 

it'd be like removing Country Coach emblems...people would think you own an Alpine ... :D

« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 11:09:11 AM by sightseers »

xrated

• ---
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2018, 01:06:01 PM »
I wounder if you could even order a King Ranch... with an exterior trim delete ?

but then why would anyone do that ? 

it'd be like removing Country Coach emblems...people would think you own an Alpine ... :D

No idea about the ordering it part.  I bought mine used because....
1.  I had more trailer than my F250 was capable of handling safely
2.  I got the best car/truck deal that I've ever have even gotten on any type of vehicle trade in my entire life.  I got high trade in value for the truck I traded in, and I paid the trade in price for the one I was buying....in other words they didn't have it marked up to resale pricing.  And by the way, I would have been perfectly content with the same truck in an XLT version, but this one came along at the right time and I jumped on it.

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2018, 06:34:42 PM »
Some might also say that working as a Maint. Electrician in an industrial environment is not exactly "status symbol", neither is a 10 year old work car with 185,000 miles on it.  And my "status" is definitely "blue collar worker", and has been since the day I started working in 1970.  I've definitely lived a "moderate" lifestyle, lived within my  means, and really don't care what anyone thinks about what I have or don't have.  I'd much rather they like/respect me for who I am....a hard working/honest person that helps others when I can and tries to live my life and treat others the way that I would like to be treated.

YOU SPEAK TRUTH, BROTHER!!

I have a Lariat as one requirement for us was dual temp control, and this is not available on lower trim levels.  It is used.  The only vehicle I own under 120K miles.  If it runs, is reliable and paid for, why trade??  I am much more concerned what the Lord thinks of me than my next door neighbor!
Preacher Gordon, DW Debbie
09 Grand Junction 35 TMS  Progressive HW50C
Andersen Ultimate hitch
2013 F350 Lariat LB SRW Supercab diesel 4X4   TST TMS  Garmin 760
Nimrod Series 70 popup (sold)
It's not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

Delaware RV

• ---
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2018, 12:51:46 PM »
I am currently in the process of ordering an F350.  In my research I too realized i was hitting payload capacity issues with my 1/2 ton truck when we went shopping for a new TT.  I went straight to the 1 ton because I don't want to have to upgrade another depreciating asset again.

The only difference in an F250/350 (for the same build out) are the leaf springs.  I looked under both trucks, the 250's have 3 leaf springs while the 350's have 5 of them.  Other then that, the trucks are the same. And if you build them out on Ford.com, you will see the price difference is only about $200 between them.  Even the brakes are the same size! but those 2 extra springs give you almost 1200-1800 lbs more in payload.

For right now (2018/2019 models) just by the 1 ton!