5th Wheel Rides nose High

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVoorhis318

Hello Folks

I've been reading some of the older related subject matter, any new ideas on how I can lower the nose on this set-up?? 2019 High Country, 16K PullRite Superglide

Thanks - Rob

Attachments

• RV 4.14.55 PM.jpg
    RV 4.14.55 PM.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 70
4WD pickups sit a couple of inches higher than the 2WD ones trailer manufacturers use in their modeling.

You could lower the height of the hitch in the truck bed, but you want to leave enough room so the trailer clears the bed rails during maneuvers  (4-6 inches).

Or you could look into having the axles "flipped", putting the leaf springs on top of the axles instead of underneath them.  This will make the trailer ride higher, raising it's center of gravity and increasing the step-up height into it.

Hi Rob,
Mine is the same way. I just live with it. Just make sure you have at least 5" clearance. 6" is better.

Hi Rene!

Have you left for Florida yet?? We'll land in Fort Pierce Sunday at Treasure Coast RV Resort.

R

Are you using airbags or anything on your truck?  It is sitting very level for that big of a trailer.  If you can't lower your hitch height, then I think Lou might have the solution.  I may be in the same boat.  I haven't gotten my hitch in my new truck yet, so I will be following this closely in case I need this also (I expect I will).

I had the same issue pulling an older lightweight 5th with a newer 1 ton 4 by 4 GMC crew long diesel. After adjusting the hitch as much as I could, and 'flipping' the trailer axles, I finally had to change the rear Shackles on the leaf springs of the truck to lower the bed of the truck two inches.

It is my understanding that towing nose high will put a disproportionate amount of the trailer's weight on the rear trailer axle, causing premature wear of those tires.  Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Frank, you are correct. It can even overload the rear axle and tires. It is much better to do what is necessary to let both axles carry equal loads. I flipped the axles on my first 5th wheel to get a level ride on it. It is not a hard job. If the axles are already under the frame a spacer tube can be added to get the same results.

Frank B said:
It is my understanding that towing nose high will put a disproportionate amount of the trailer's weight on the rear trailer axle, causing premature wear of those tires.  Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

I don't remember what it's called, but my springs are mounted to a device between the axles which  transfers the weight equally to both axles I think when going over uneven ground. Would that work the same way if nose high on the trailer?

I think it's a nice looking rig and that truck does sit nice.  I had a Dodge 2500 HD 4X4, sat pretty high.  Hooked a 15,000 pound toy hauler to it, squatted about 3 inches.  Wound up starting around 17,000 so we went with a bigger truck.  Nose is up a bit, but nothing radical.  If you can find a happy medium between hitch height and rail clearance, maybe make an adjustment if you're worried about it.  Are you full timing and towing thousands of miles?

Rene T said:
I don't remember what it's called, but my springs are mounted to a device between the axles which  transfers the weight equally to both axles I think when going over uneven ground. Would that work the same way if nose high on the trailer?

Going to take someone with more knowledge than me for that one. It is my understanding that this will mitigate that. Not sure how much. Anyone know for sure how much angle on the trailer can be tolerated? I know that my RV shop made sure that our TT rode level when they installed the Class 5 hitch.

Rene, If you are referring to the equalizer it won't correct this problem. It is for short term going over uneven ground.

Rob VanVoorhis said:
Hello Folks

I've been reading some of the older related subject matter, any new ideas on how I can lower the nose on this set-up?? 2019 High Country, 16K PullRite Superglide

Thanks - Rob
Rob, looking at the picture, it appears that the pad the trailer wheels are on is lower than the pad the truck is on. Need a picture where the truck and trailer are level.

Trucks today sit very high, even 2WD 1/2 tons sit higher than in the past and the new generation Super Duty is ridiculous. I assume it?s a styling thing. Anyway, given that many 5Ws are over 13? tall I think the last thing they need is to sit tilted up in front or to be higher overall with flipped axles. Were I buying a truck to tow a 5W I?d get the lowest one that was practicable.

The last generation Super Duty dually sat lower than the single axle but the new generation is as high. The truck makers should make a low riding 4WD dually for 5W use; a towing special. I assume most towers with 4WD want the extra traction only and don?t need the extra clearance needed for off road use.

11300K-You don't even know that thing is behind that power stroke, pulls like a dream!

It's a 2019, just pulled to Florida from CT, to date about 2000 miles. It will be parked until spring and then about a 10K mile road trip West and back. It pulls great, barely a wobble; I do want to get it on the scale to see where we're at. My biggest concern right now is it will drag ass on the slightest of inclines...ugh

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom