All Tech Geniuses Please Reply

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVoorhis318

Would like a simple wireless HD camera mounted outside so I can see my 5th wheel hitch while hooking up. I have 4 cervical levels fused so twisting my neck is not an option. Any thought will be greatly appreciated.

Rob

Attachments

• RV 4.14.55 PM.jpg
    RV 4.14.55 PM.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 32
You could get a wireless backup camera and monitor.

Instead of it's intended mounting place on the rear license plate, mount the camera on the back of the cab, probably near the 3rd stoplight so it looks down into the bed and hitch, and run a source of 12 volts power to it.  If you get 12 volts from an inside dome light or an outdoor cargo light you could just turn it on when you want to use the camera.

Put the monitor on the dash, run 12 volts to it and you're done.

I have seen very wide mirrors that stick onto the front of the fifth wheel. Could something like that be seen from the rearview mirror in your truck? No electronics involved.

I tried to call my friend to get some info for you. She did not answer but I will try her again later.  She has a 2017 f-350 super duty and somehow the Ford dealer programed her truck so the rear camera shows the 5th wheel when she is hooking up. You may want to get your owners manual out and see what it says about the camera system.

dabrooks said:
I tried to call my friend to get some info for you. She did not answer but I will try her again later.  She has a 2017 f-350 super duty and somehow the Ford dealer programed her truck so the rear camera shows the 5th wheel when she is hooking up. You may want to get your owners manual out and see what it says about the camera system.

I thought the camera was in the tailgate facing the rear.  :-\

I have a similar problem. I can't see the hitch or pin while hooking up. The headrest for the rear seat blocks my view from the rearview mirror. My current method of madness is to line it up the best I can, get out and check when I get close, and again when I get closer, and again when I first make contact. It works, but like you , there must be a better way....

I thought about one of those tennis balls on a rod with a magnetic base that you attach to the trailer and receiver. Line them up and go. Less expensive than a back up camera, but I like the camera idea.

Hanr3 said:
I have a similar problem. I can't see the hitch or pin while hooking up. The headrest for the rear seat blocks my view from the rearview mirror. My current method of madness is to line it up the best I can, get out and check when I get close, and again when I get closer, and again when I first make contact. It works, but like you , there must be a better way....

I thought about one of those tennis balls on a rod with a magnetic base that you attach to the trailer and receiver. Line them up and go. Less expensive than a back up camera, but I like the camera idea.

On our 06 GMC, the rear headrests are removable. Failing that, our rear seat folds down.

Rene T said:
I thought the camera was in the tailgate facing the rear.  :-\

I believe there is more than one camera. She is supposed to come down tomorrow I will find out.

Well, you don't say if you have a backup camera mounted in the tailgate (the factory backup camera), but if you do, and have the 8" Sync 3, you can get this add-on kit?

https://camera-source.com/2017-f250-f350-f450-3rd-brake-light-camera-for-trucks-w-factory-camera.html

If not, there are other options I'm sure.  We'll see what other people post.  This would be the best if you have the pre-requisites.

For $40. (CAN) I was able to by a cheap kit on Amazon with a camera and 7 inch monitor.  Half an hour or so later and you're good to go.  I put my camera on the back of my 5th wheel so I  can see what is behind me that my mirrors won't show.  Best money I ever spent.  You could do the same type of set up easily.

MartyB said:
For $40. (CAN) I was able to by a cheap kit on Amazon with a camera and 7 inch monitor.  Half an hour or so later and you're good to go.  I put my camera on the back of my 5th wheel so I  can see what is behind me that my mirrors won't show.  Best money I ever spent.  You could do the same type of set up easily.

There's a member who did the same thing except he mounted it inside and clamped it to his valance above the picture window. It was wireless. I don't remember what he paid for it but hopefully he's reading this and will chime in. You could mount it to the rear window with suction cups. I just remembered that it required 12 volt power.

My friend is on the way down and she told me for sure the Ford dealer showed her how to go into the setting so she could use the camera that was mounted in the cargo light. So on her truck F-350 Super Duty there is a camera mounted in the cargo light and one mounted in the tailgate. The cargo light camera was not added it came from the factory. I am going to look at her owners manual and hopefully I can get a picture of the section that applies. If the OP does not have that camera maybe the Ford dealer can install it.

My friend did come down today and her F-350 Super Duty has 5 cameras. One in each mirror, one on the tailgate, one on the cargo light and one on the front. There is a book in the owners package that is titled "Super Duty Quick Reference" that addresses the cameras.  I can find nothing that says "if equipped" so it leads me to believe that it is standard on Super Duty pickups.

One quick way to tell is the camera in the cargo light is easy to see. It is a black disc about the size of a half dollar and is in the center of the high brake light.

Oh man LOL...... I tried the tennis ball thing, no luck hehe, sucks getting old!! I have my wife backing up to the pin, its risky and she almost squished me once but she's getting better and I keep getting more stupid lol

My RV (20) and myself (83) were getting to old to continue RVing so I sold it last Fall so, I will have to describe what/how I solved the same problem, Information is generic as is the dimensions. Cut and fit for your specific application.

For cutting acrylic plexiglass cut slow and cool/lubricate with a squirt bottle of Alcohol. (Cut do not melt the plexiglass)

I went to a glass shop and was given a scrap piece of 1/4 inch plexiglass that had a mirrored finish one side. Cut the material to 4x6 inches.

A plastic shop had some dark grey (plastic) material that he said was weather resistant (UV) about 1x3. I cut 2 pc about 2 inches long.

I then positioned the RV/Tow vehicle at hookup height about 1 to 2 feet before Pin/hitch engagement, climbed in the bed and temporally holding everything together temporally with double sided sticky tape, positioned the stand offs to the front cap of the RV. I had to cut the front of the stand offs at a angle to be visible in the rear view mirror. Attached the stand offs to the front cap and the mirror to the stand offs with RV Goop. I also painted a white line on the center line of the front half of the horizontal part of the hitch.

Rob, you never did indicate if your truck was a Super Duty. If not here is a backup camera and monitor that seems pretty reasonable. https://www.amazon.com/TOGUARD-Waterproof-Trailers-Harvester-Vehicles/dp/B07FMV43D2/ref=sr_1_10?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1538867642&sr=1-10&keywords=backup+camera

Rob, if you havn't got something yet
https://www.iballhitchcam.com/

NY_Dutch said:
I hooked up Class 7-8 tractors to trailers (14-18 wheelers) many times just using side mirrors. An inside rear view mirror would be a plus.

on most OTR trucks all you'll ever see with an inside mirror....is the sleeper.

Back
Top Bottom