Loop in El Paso

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OSUTRIKERS

Is Hwy 375 considered a loop around El Paso?  Would be nice to be able to skirt I-10?portion thru town.

OSUTRIKERS said:
Is Hwy 375 considered a loop around El Paso?  Would be nice to be able to skirt I-10?portion thru town.
Yes, it is an excellent bypass.  One issue though is the pretty steep climb and drop over the mountains at the western part of the bypass.  HOWEVER there is a good way to also bypass the mountains.

Detailed directions here:  http://rv-dreams.typepad.com/rvdreams_journal/2017/12/alternate-rv-route-around-el-paso-tx-375-loop.html

Time wise though, it is quicker to just follow I-10.  For some reason this section of city interstate driving seems more stressful to me than most cities.  Not sure why.  In Jan 2018 going west we took the bypass, then in Feb on the way back we took I-10 on Sunday morning when there wasn't that much traffic, but it still seemed stressful.

AStravelers said:
Yes, it is an excellent bypass.  One issue though is the pretty steep climb and drop over the mountains at the western part of the bypass.  HOWEVER there is a good way to also bypass the mountains.

Detailed directions here:  http://rv-dreams.typepad.com/rvdreams_journal/2017/12/alternate-rv-route-around-el-paso-tx-375-loop.html

Time wise though, it is quicker to just follow I-10.  For some reason this section of city interstate driving seems more stressful to me than most cities.  Not sure why.  In Jan 2018 going west we took the bypass, then in Feb on the way back we took I-10 on Sunday morning when there wasn't that much traffic, but it still seemed stressful.

We live in the Phoenix area so anytime we head to Texas (which we do several times a year) we end up going through El Paso on I-10 and the 15 miles or so approaching and going through El Paso is easily the most stressful part of our drive, much worse than San Antonio. I have told myself if we are traveling on any day other than either Saturday or Sunday next time I will take the bypass, so your posting is much appreciated.

We drive a small Class B (2005 Pleasure-Way) so the drive should not be any more stressful for us than in a car, but the I-10 lanes seem narrow, the road is always under construction with lanes switching back and forth, it is almost always very busy, drivers switch lanes with no turn signal lights and the last time we went through the city there was a car bumper rolling along the car lanes. I love getting on the open road and driving, but I just do not like that stretch of road.

Back
Top Bottom