Television Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

westr212

my 2014 Palomino solaire TT has been great but now I'm in repair and maintain mode. The led flat screen TV is a Jensen 32 inch JE 3214 and it will not go into channel search mode. It powers up and  I get a blue screen only. When I try to change the channel or press the menu button ( remote or the button on the side of the TV ) the TV shuts off. It is a 120 volt TV so it would seem that I could go to the local electronics store or department and buy I new one to replace it. The stereo is Jensen too and it has a built in DVD player. So my question is should I look into repair or should I replace it with a new unit?

I vote to replace.....It is sad to say, but nothing is built to last like the old days.

Jensen doesn't have a great track record despite their advertising hype, so I would probably just replace it. Lots of inexpensive choices available, and you can maybe fit a larger or better resolution one in its place as well.

Anyone know of other TV's/brands, that have the same type of mounting configuration? It consists of four holes in a square 100 mm pattern. This would allow us to use the current tapered V mount bracket and not have to change the mounting.  I have a Samsung 32 inch Tv for home use but it's mounting holes are quite different.

I would also vote to replace. Today's consumer TVs are rarely cost effective to repair. Troubleshooting can be time consuming and parts are nearly impossible to find. New TVs are likely better quality and cheaper than what you are trying to replace.

As far as mounting goes, TVs typically use what is known as a VESA mount. These mounts come in four basic sizes, 75x75, 100x100, and 200x200 mm with the 100x100 being the most common. Almost any TV today should fit your mount.

From what we have found, you can't beat Visio for the money.

THough I now only use 2 of 'em I have 3 TV's. One Samsung (Sold w/o remote used to be a floor display)  Sansung uses only one remote and I had one on hand

Two are Off brands. one a Wal*Mart black friday special and the other from a pawn shop for the most part (Volume. channel. and a few other things.  ONLY INPUT is excluded) they use the same remote codes.  Nice. all work well. though the one Pawn Shop is not all that good at Park Cable.. But .. Well it never actually watches park cable.  (I run it through another "Front End" (DVR) and it watches park cable)

Thanks for the advise. I will look at other options beyond the Jensen brand as from the pricing I've seen the Jensen is double the price of some other reliable brands.

Before you throw it away try doing what they call a hard reset.  Leave it completely unplugged for 15 minutes or so for most Jensen TVs.

If that doesn't work there is another level of reset called a 'factory reset' or 'service reset'.  Google may find it for you.

It may need a software update - it's a computer 'ya know.

If nothing else works there is always 'percussive maintenance'.  Probably won't work but it's very satisfying.

When it comes to TVs, I would consider replacing after 3-5 years.  The costs are so cheap and the technology improves so much that its worth it.  I have 4 TVs in mine from 2010 that I plan on replacing with larger 4K LED TVs that are much lighter and better.  Probably be out $700 for all 4 TVs which is pennies. I just bought this RV two weeks ago so these are going to be the first things I do besides WiFi Extender and LTE booster.

I agree with the last post a 5 year old TV is ancient by todays standards, the newer ones are lighter, thinner,  have better picture, consume less power, ....

The new ones also tend to have a much narrower bezel, so you may find one with  larger screen that fits in the same space

westr212 said:
I have a Samsung 32 inch Tv for home use but it's mounting holes are quite different.

Your Samsung probably uses the 200mm x 200mm mounting pattern.  There are adapter brackets that are sold to permit you to use a TV of one size with a mount of another size.  However, when using a larger TV one should be concerned with the weight rating of the mount.  The good news is that TV's have gotten a lot lighter over the past few years so a larger TV may well weigh less than a smaller one it replaces.

To follow up on the weight issue, there are many 2018 model 32 inch smart tv's that now weigh under 9 pounds, there are even 4K 40 inch models that weigh under 19 pounds

8Muddypaws said:
Before you throw it away try doing what they call a hard reset.  Leave it completely unplugged for 15 minutes or so for most Jensen TVs.

If that doesn't work there is another level of reset called a 'factory reset' or 'service reset'.  Google may find it for you.

It may need a software update - it's a computer 'ya know.

If nothing else works there is always 'percussive maintenance'.  Probably won't work but it's very satisfying.

While I agree with replacing due to age these are good suggestions.......I really like the last one ;D

Geer Mine main TV was purchased in 2013 or 2014 used and still is doing the job 100% no issues that I can detect no reason to upgrade.

I would make one note....  There are new "SMART" tv's out there with things like voice control and video conferencing abilities.

I DO NOT WANT ONE.. In fact if you hack into this laptop and access the camera.. I hope you enjoy the view of the sticky side of an adhesive label.

Keep in mind if you're considering a new Visio that they no longer build a TV tuner into their sets. So you will have to be connected to a set-top box of some sort or buy an external tuner. Chuck

chuckbear said:
Keep in mind if you're considering a new Visio that they no longer build a TV tuner into their sets. So you will have to be connected to a set-top box of some sort or buy an external tuner. Chuck

WOW ...Not that I'm in the market for a TV but that's good to know...Thanks for the heads up.

chuckbear said:

This info is wrong ^^^^^^.  It seems they got a lot of flack from the public about doing that (maybe 2017 model years) and they started putting tuners in them again.  I just bought a new, 2018 Vizio 40" about two weeks ago and it has a tuner in it....plus built in WiFi and built in Chromecast.

John From Detroit said:
Geer Mine main TV was purchased in 2013 or 2014 used and still is doing the job 100% no issues that I can detect no reason to upgrade.

We have two TVs in the 40-43" size; both are middle of the price range Samsungs.  One is an HDTV bought in ~2014 and the other is a UHD bought in 2016.  IMO there is no question but that the UHD exhibits a better picture (sharper) when connected to the same DirecTV receiver viewing the same 1080p program.  But there's no way I can rationalize to myself the ~$400 (or more) cost of replacing the older unit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom