Winterization

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Renna2

My husband and I just bought a used 2007 Passport 200qs Ultra Lite and we both are brand new to the RV world.

I had a question about the Antifreeze when you winterize it..

I may just be super sensitive to the smell but we bought the trailer already winterized for the season and have taken a few things out of the trailer to clean it up a little before storing it and find that the smell is just awful. Everything that I take out of the trailer smells like that Antifreeze...the previous owners left us a bit of bedding and dishes and when I took it out of the trailer it just reeks!

I guess.my question is .. is it normal for a trailer and everything that comes out of it to smell like antifreeze? And in the spring when we dewinterize and flush the system will the smell go away? Please tell me it goes away!! :-\

Welcome to the forum.
Are you sure it's antifreeze you're smelling and not gas from one of your tank?  Gray or black.

I can't imagine that it's antifreeze you're smelling.

Any antifreeze smell or taste is eliminated by the bleach used to sanitize the fresh water system.

Go buy a gallon of the pink antifreeze, open it and smell it. See if it's the same. If it smell different, go around and dump some in every trap and also put some in the toilet to keep the seals lubricated so they don't dry out. DO NOT use car antifreeze.

Hmm I don't think it's gas? I smelled the pink antifreeze the previous owners used to winterize the trailer to compare and see if that was what I was smelling in the trailer and it does smell similar. It's like a sweet but very strong smell. But I just don't know if antifreeze can actually make the inside of your trailer smell?

I have a very sensitive nose though I swear I can sniff anything out so maybe I'm just super sensitive to the smell.

I have a sensitive nose, too and I've never noticed an antifreeze smell in an RV.  There are other things that smell similar.

If a good airing out doesn't get rid of the smell,  I'd look behind seat cushions and inside of cabinets and closets for signs of black mold that may have grown while the trailer was closed up.  Maybe inside the refrigerator and freezer if you didn't leave their doors open a crack while it was in storage.

Renna2 said:
Hmm I don't think it's gas? I smelled the pink antifreeze the previous owners used to winterize the trailer to compare and see if that was what I was smelling in the trailer and it does smell similar. It's like a sweet but very strong smell. But I just don't know if antifreeze can actually make the inside of your trailer smell?

I have a very sensitive nose though I swear I can sniff anything out so maybe I'm just super sensitive to the smell.

When I said gas, I was referring to sewer gas from either your black tank or your gray tank.

Back
Top Bottom