wood stove, need framing advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supermanotorious

I'm getting the chimney installed and riding the struggle bus. Well really the challenge is framing the support box.

I have a "roof supported" installation. The chimney is passing through the roof where an old patio was enclosed. My joists are 24" on center and I need to make a 14"x14" framed opening. Where the patio was enclosed it was finished. So in a cross cut view we have the sheetrock ceiling, the joists and insulation, then the OSB, tar paper, shingles. There is no attic/crawl/access space at all.

How much of the sheetrock do I need to cut away to attach my framing members to the joists? Do I need to cut the entire 24" span between joists? Do I need to cut beyond that, to get to the back side of both joists to nail the framing members in place?

Depends on your skill level and tools.
the challenge is installing cross bracing between the two joists.
If you want to nail it from the outside of the joists you will open up a section 3 joists wide. Big hole and lots of repair work. There is a better way.
I would install two 2x4's as nailers on each joist. Nail your cross bracing to the 2x4's. Install the 2x4's with 17" of space between them on each joist. Nail your cross bracing to each 2x4 from the inside of the opening. You will need 2x4 nailers on the cross bracing and it would be easier to install before you put the cross brace in the ceiling. This second set of nailers is needed to complete the 14" square box, boards parallel to the joists. Basically your building a box from the inside and nailing to support boards on the outside. Install the outside boards first (nailers).

I don't understand why the roof is supporting the chimney ?
Is it a round 8" stove pipe chimney that sits right on the top of the stove?

For framing it out, I would open it all the way up to the inner side of the joists and then make a box that gets nailed to the inside of the the two side joists.

Jack L

thanks guys, I got it done, I "toenailed" the cross braces with 3" construction screws and only cut drywall between the 2 joists

yes, this is 6" round pipe going through the roof

Attachments

• IMG_6547RVF.jpg
    IMG_6547RVF.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6549RVF.jpg
    IMG_6549RVF.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6550RVF.jpg
    IMG_6550RVF.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 10

Forum statistics