Low voltage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boaterkathy

We have a 2003 diesel Newmar motor home. Our voltage is going down even when we are plugged into electricity. Our refrigerator kept showing low dc, even when we had  it on AC. It finally started beeping at us, so we had to turn it off. We have had the low voltage issue a few times before and replaced the batteries, which took care of the problem. BUT we just replaced the batteries in June because of this issue and have usually been ok with the refrigerator when we are plugged in to electricity. Not this time. Any ideas on a fix? Need help ASAP!

You need to check the output of the converter with a volt meter. Preferably a digital to get a accurate reading. When plugged into shore power,  you should be getting at least 13.5 volts at the battery posts.

We usually get about 13.7, but it has kept going down and is now at 10.1 and continuing to go down. My son has one of those volt things that you mentioned, but it is at his office an hour away and he will bring it home tomorrow after work. So tired of this happening! ?  Son and son-in-law just hooked up a separate trickle charger to it, and that seems to be bringing the voltage up some.

Your convertor is evidently not charging the batteries. This may have been your problem all along. A good voltmeter is handy to keep in your RV. They are not that expensive.

boaterkathy said:
We usually get about 13.7, but it has kept going down and is now at 10.1 and continuing to go down. My son has one of those volt things that you mentioned, but it is at his office an hour away and he will bring it home tomorrow after work. So tired of this happening! ?  Son and son-in-law just hooked up a separate trickle charger to it, and that seems to be bringing the voltage up some.

How do you know you had 10.1 without your son's voltmeter?

Rene T said:
How do you know you had 10.1 without your son's voltmeter?

I don't know about the OP's rig, but my power management center has readouts for all kinds of stuff, including DC volts. But I don't know the exact spot where this reading is taken. She may well have something similar.

You might want to check the position of your House Battery isolation switch - the switch that's often used to disconnect the House Batteries when the RV is put into storage. When we're plugged into shore-power, and the House Battery isolation switch is off, our 12 volt lights and systems will work, but the converter/charger won't charge the batteries. Not all coaches are wired the same, but many are.

Kev

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom