sink back up....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tregrad

2012 keystone sprinter 311BHS, sink has backed up, tried to snake it, tried hot water. its been going on for a couple weeks. we can use the sink for a while and then the water shows up in the sink. I put some hot water down the drain to make the pipes hot so i could feel where it stops but its under the belly cover so i couldnt feel the hot pipes. as i was under the trailer i could see a small drip coming out of the hole where the drain pipe exits the belly cover.
all that said, wth is going on? should i snake it in reverse? use drano?

I assume you have emptied the gray tank(s)? Be careful using a snake. If you have a Helvo trap, it will destroy it.

kdbgoat said:
I assume you have emptied the gray tank(s)? Be careful using a snake. If you have a Helvo trap, it will destroy it.

Goat, it's a HEPVO Trap.  I seem to remember that they are used allot under a shower pan and not a sink. Just looking under the sink you should be able to tell right away.
https://hepvo.com/

I use Liquid Draino Gel. It's a good chance that it is grease and debris gumming up the Hepvo trap. Pour in a little Draino, let it sit for 15-30 minutes, then flush with hot water. Cleans the trap, does not harm the Hepvo trap, and won't tear the trap like a snake could.

When you flush the drain, have the gray tank open and use lots of hot water. 

Another question for the OP, how long have you had this trailer? There may be a separate gray tank for the galley. Many rv's have more than one gray tank, and sometimes the valve handle is not readily seen. On my last trailer, I had look up underneath. The valve was mounted on the frame rails, not out where the black and other gray valve are. Sometimes they have their own waste hose hook-up.

have not tried drano yet, what happens if i ruined the hepvo trap? i went under the trailer yesterday and its leaking, had water under the thick plastic belly cover so i drilled a hole in it (didnt hit the tank) my wife used the sink this AM and it backed up and started to leak out the belly cover again. does the plumbing simply "screw" on to the tank? and since it is full it then leaks?
We use the trailer year round and have for 3 years. my tanks are always open and i have 3 of them, i dont know which is which, except for the black water one which is pretty obvious.
i guess im getting some drano today, if the tank is so full should i use a lot of it?

Thanks so much for the help

It is a big mistake to leave the black tank valve always open. You will develop a poop pyramid. Search the forum for into about poop pyramids.

so what is the best chemical to put in my black water tank to disolve the poop pyramid i am almost certain i have? Please just help and no insults from the peanut gallery.
ive heard "digest it" is the best one?

tregrad said:
so what is the best chemical to put in my black water tank to disolve the poop pyramid i am almost certain i have? Please just help and no insults from the peanut gallery.
There is no almost certain about it. You have a stinky toilet and you are leaving the black valve out, this means you have a definite poop pyramid. No way around it. The heat will turn the pyramid into a very solid rock that chemicals won't dissolve. There is no chemical that will dissolve the poop pyramid. It must be done manually with high pressure. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A01-0187VP-Flexible-Tank-Wand/dp/B000BGHYE8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1539030044&sr=8-5&keywords=black+tank+wand

ok i bought one of the ones with a brass spinner at the end a year or so ago so i guess thats what i will do. been doing a lot of research and boy have i screwed the pooch, but on the bright side im pretty handy and can fix just about everything, with the help from good folks like your self. THANK YOU

tregrad said:

One thing others have tried is pouring some ice cubes down into the black tank and then taking the trailer on a nice twisty drive to get those cubes sloshing around and "cleaning" the tank.
Regardless of the method you try, add a lot of water. Fill that tank up. Take the rig for a spin. Drain, refill, drain, refill...

tregrad said:
ok i bought one of the ones with a brass spinner at the end a year or so ago so i guess thats what i will do. been doing a lot of research and boy have i screwed the pooch, but on the bright side im pretty handy and can fix just about everything, with the help from good folks like your self. THANK YOU
You are welcome. Don't beat yourself up. It is a very common mistake for beginners. We have had that exact same problem come up many times since I have been hanging out here. It is logical to assume to keep the black valve open. I have bought three used RVs that had a poop pyramid from the previous owner. You can try the ice cube method but it did not work for me. The heat solidifies the poop and ice cubes won't do a thing unless it is a very recent problem. If the valve has been left open for more than a year then the pyramid will be as solid as a rock.

well, if there is a light at the end of the honey pipe, we have been in it year round and it gets used a lot so it has never "sat" in the baking sun and has been wet the whole time and i use a few gallons everytime i flush. but, im sure i have a pyramid of Giza down there lol.

Hammster, our rig is parked and winterized (skirted) for the winter so taking it for a drag isnt possible. but thanks anyway  :D

tregrad said:
well, if there is a light at the end of the honey pipe, we have been in it year round and it gets used a lot so it has never "sat" in the baking sun and has been wet the whole time and i use a few gallons everytime i flush. but, im sure i have a pyramid of Giza down there lol.

Hammster, our rig is parked and winterized (skirted) for the winter so taking it for a drag isnt possible. but thanks anyway  :D

It's good that it's had water in it most of the time. Hoping you can get it resolved.

tregrad said:
Even with adequate water and no heat you will still have a poop pyramid form. All you have to do is keep the black valve open long enough.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom