Satellite TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob T

Just retired and headins south for winter.
Got the loan of a portable satellite dish and receiver/pvr to try.
Receiver has 2 coax inputs and 1 hdmi output.
Problem is, my unit is a 2008 and the box of many buttons has only coax inputs and outputs. (There is a roof mounted dish plus a portable satellite input located in the electric bay which is how I want to hook up)

I would prefer not to take everything apart to try and run hdmi cable as I have no idea if we are going to use this or get one ourselves.

Would anyone have ideas on how I can use the coax that is already run to get the units output from hdmi to coax?

Many thanks for any suggestions

Bob

Two choices:
1. Get an HDMI to coax converter (aka RF Modulator)
2. Get a receiver that has coax output instead of HDMI

https://www.amazon.com/RadioShack-HDMI-Coaxial-Converter-Adapter/dp/B06XWZMFD8

If it uses coax, your tv may be SD (Standard Definition) with an analog tv tuner, while a satellite receive with HDMI is likely to be producing HD (High Definition) digital signal. The tv tuner won't decode an HD signal, if that's what it is.  You would need an digital-to-analog converter for that.

Thanks Gary.
My TV is an HD but the existing cabling installed by Winnie is coax.
I am sure it would be better to fish new HDMI cable in but that is a lot of work and I will do it if we decide we want satellite TV on the coach.

Will probably order one of the converters to try things out.

Bob

Bob, are you sure that both of those co-ax connections are inputs. My Dish VIP 211k has only 1 input. But it also has a co-ax output.
What satellite antenna and receiver are you using?

Depending on your TV. Most "Wide Screen" units have HDMI in. so you can feed one direct (I suggest this even if you do use an Adapter or Modulator as Gary suggested.

That is a problem with modern Sat Receivers. NO RF-out (Coax out) just HDMI and occasionally A/V

ChasA said:
Bob, are you sure that both of those co-ax connections are inputs. My Dish VIP 211k has only 1 input. But it also has a co-ax output.
What satellite antenna and receiver are you using?
I?m sure there are 2 coax inputs.
The receiver has a built in PVR and apparently needs second input for that.
John From Detroit said:
Depending on your TV. Most "Wide Screen" units have HDMI in. so you can feed one direct (I suggest this even if you do use an Adapter or Modulator as Gary suggested.

That is a problem with modern Sat Receivers. NO RF-out (Coax out) just HDMI and occasionally A/V
John, my TV is only a year or so old, there are 2 (guaranteed) possibly 3 HDMI inputs, also RCA type inputs on the back along with the coax connection
Sorry, I?ve never used Satellite so I am not sure what you mean ?you can feed 1 direct?.

Ideally, I would love to use the coax that is already in place for this trial rather than having to install run of HDMI.

It is Shaw.
It is a loaner as I have no idea if it will work while south.
Maybe someone here can tell me if its a fools errand taking it down, or should I just leave it with the owner?

Shaw will work in South Florida, BUT do not call them for help should you need it as that could result in the service being cancelled. Don't know about other locations but I suspect Arizona etc should also be fine. You did not mention which receiver model you have but my solution was to use the two coax feeds from the Shaw furnished dish to a Shaw furnished receiver and HMDI from receiver to the TV. Just place  the receiver as close as possible (ie behind, where possible) to the TV and avoid any issues that require running HMDI wires. Shaw receivers are not compatible with any other brand and you do need a subscription with a Canadian address. Establish that service beforehand from a Canadian based phone number as well. They do check!! I also suggest you set it up first at home and then simply redo the dish aiming when you arrive at your destination

I did have to bypass the box of many buttons ( AKA signal Source Selector) to accommodate the 2 dish-receiver coax feeds to work to my satisfaction but my trailer had 2 outside SATELLITE  feeds already coming into it, 1 for a portable dish and one for the old roof dish which I was able to reuse to bring the dish signals into the trailer.

Stu, thank you very much for the info.
After reading your post, I?ve picked up a 50?  HDMI cable.
I will run it temporarily to see how things work and if all goes well, there should be lots to actually do a permanent install on the cable. (I could always use it for the blue ray surround sound system which is another thing that I haven?t used very much).

Keeping my fingers crossed it works as it would be nice to get news from home.

Thanks again

Bob

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom