Carpet Replace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namumac1

I want to replace the carpet in my 5er with some vinyl plank. The question is the carpet on the slide overlap the main floor. Any ideas on how to make that joint overlap with the vinyl?

I took out carpet and vinyl sheet and replaced with peel-n-stick panels. The carpet on top of my slideout wrapped around the edge and was stapled to the bottom surface of the slideout. Clearly they did this at the factory BEFORE the slideout was installed, as there is NO access to the bottom of the slideout. I reached and cut as far under the edge as I could but there is still a bunch of ugly crud in that little gap under the slideout.

Attachments

• 238B--MH--cropped.jpg
    238B--MH--cropped.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 41
I used the same peel-n-stick panels on the edge of the slideout as I used on the top face of the slideout and on the main floor. I cut the panels down into narrow pieces that would cover the edge of the slideout and reach down to cover the carpet, pads, and old sheet flooring that I could not get out. I left a small eighth-inch gap at the bottom and I later put some stair tread nose material on top of the corner to hold it together somewhat.

I tried using the "sticky" that was already on the panels to get it to stick to the edge face of the slideout but that did not work. It will require some sort of extra adhesive (like liquid nails?) to make that work. My cut-down edge pieces fell off overnight. The next day I used some tiny wire brads to tack the edge pieces back onto the edge of the slideout (through the panel and into the top plywood edge).

Looks OK but I may yet end up tearing it off and re-doing. Hope this helps

Attachments

• 345B--MH--cropped.jpg
    345B--MH--cropped.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 45
Peel & stick tile adhesive is generally NOT up to the more rugged environment of an RV, or even most mobile homes. The floor is subject to flexing, moisture, and temperature changes that are beyond what most peel & stick can handle. Even fixed site homes with a crawl space instead of a basement often have trouble with peel & stick moving around and opening gaps between tiles.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Peel & stick tile adhesive is generally NOT up to the more rugged environment of an RV, or even .....

This stuff sticks like crazy. I put it down after pre-warming the plywood deck with a heat gun, and where I had to make corrections, these panel pieces were murder to lift off. They pretty much came off in pieces, after re-warming with  the heat gun again. I would be surprised if they "fall off" by themselves.

Ernie Ekberg said:
I have installed the peel and stick tiles. Never again

If not peel and stick, then what?  I've got an edge to cover similar to DufferDave and I can't even find wood look peel and stick planks.  It's all like TrafficMaster Allure at the local big box stores, and that won't work on the vertical edge.

Back
Top Bottom