Eu3000 Honda Generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Csinloo

Hello, new to this forum.
I have a 2015 Flaggstaff 27? RLWS 13,500 btu a/c unit. I just bought a Honda eu3000 generator. My problem is that the generator will run everything ?startup? included and continue to run a/c, fridge, a light or two. But after about 20-30minutes it will shutdown. It doesn?t do this all the time it does it intermittent. I?ve hooked other generators to my camper and they run everything just fine.
My Honda dealer says there is nothing wrong with the generator as it tests at 2900 watts. Anyone else have issues with the eu3000 generators? Do I need to run my fridge off of gas and only run a/c unit and lights off of generator? This generator has been highly recommended for what I use it for but it seems to be failing me.
I only run my water heater off of gas.
Thanks in advance!

It either sits in the bed of my pickup?open bed? or on the ground 10? or so away from the camper. Generator runs fine/starts fine it just has intermittent shutdown when holding a ?load? for a period of time.

That intermittent description, combined with the shop finding no problem, sounds as if it could be something electronic quitting when it gets too hot, which would make it very difficult for the dealer to duplicate on a short visit. They'd have to run it under a similar load for quite a while, perhaps enclosed in whatever fashion it is when you encounter the problem.

What exactly do you mean by "shuts down?"  Do you mean the motor stops or the motor keeps running but the generator stops producing electric power?  When you overload a generator it drops offline (no electric output) but the motor keeps running.  If you mean the motor stops running it's not an electrical overload.  If you forget to open the vent on the cap they usually run about as long as you described and then the motor shuts down.  Perhaps the gas cap vent is plugged or defective.  Try running it with the cap loose or off...have the gas down some in the tank before running without the cap.  Another thought is perhaps a low oil shut down.  These generators have a low oil shutdown feature to prevent damage.  If the generator is sitting off level it may cause a premature low oil shut down.  I'm shooting in the dark here.  Just some thoughts.

Let us know the outcome.

I must seen this question so i know i am a little latento the conversation.  I hope you got it fixed but if not, check your oil level. Had this problem with a fellow camper this year at a NASCAR race with exact same problem. After a few minutes his would shut down completely.  Tried mine sense i had the same generator as he did and as you do, mine ran fine. Switched back to use same problem. Checked the oil level and found out that was it. He was down just a little and after a few minutes of running the generator sensed low level and shut down. Bit never indicated it sense the oil returned to the bottom of the pan. Try looking there if you haven't fixed issue yet.
Michael

Welcome to The RV Forum!

Csinloo said:
Do I need to run my fridge off of gas and only run a/c unit and lights off of generator?

That would be my first suggestion.  The refrigerator's heating element draws 200-300 watts, almost continuously in hot weather.  By comparison, it uses about 1/10 - 1/5 gallon a day of propane in gas mode.

The EU3000 is rated for 3,000 watts maximum, 2800 watts continuous duty (>20 minutes).  So eliminating 10% of the load by switching the refrigerator to gas may solve your shutdown problem.

Back
Top Bottom