2017 F 150 2.7 4x4 super Crew towing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a 2017 F150 Supercrew 4x4 with the 2.7L ecoboost along with the 3.55 limited slip rear axle.  My tow rating is 7600 lbs.  My GVWR is 6500 and my GCWR is 12800. payload is 1541.

My wife really likes the sunset trail 28BH which is 6199 lbs dry with a GVWR of 7600lbs. 

We do not travel long distances for camping nor do we plan on going into the mountains.  We are from wisconsin and will be using this for weekend camping.  driving 40-150 miles one way to our destinations. 

Wondering if my truck is capable of towing this load?  I have been researching and been here yes and no.  I think I will be at the far end of the ratings

Welcome to the Forum!

Thanks for asking BEFORE purchase!!

Camper first:  forget all about dry wt.  Nobody goes camping in an empty camper!  With a GVWR of 7600#, you will have a tongue wt in the range of 760# (10%) to 900# (12%).  Add 80# for a WD hitch.  This totals 840# - 980#.  This weight will be carried by the truck.

Now the truck.  Usually, the limiting factor is Payload.  Based on the odd (not rounded off) number, I assume this is from the yellow placard - the ONLY REAL, trustworthy payload number.  Your Payload is 1541#.  Subtract 980# for the trailer, which leaves 560# for you, DW, dog, any other passengers, cargo, tools, firewood or toys carried in the truck.

Note I am using the HIGH estimates.  Be a bit careful on what you carry, and you are good to go!  If the camper is not loaded to capacity or if tongue wt is a bit less than 12%, you have room for more firewood or a bigger safety margin.

I used the high estimates because it was clear you had "enough truck", and those numbers did not need massaged to squeeze into the specs.

With a GVWR for the truck of 6500# and a 7600# TT and a 980# tongue wt, your GCWR is 13,120#  Tongue wt is included in both weights, so subtract the duplicate.  If the actual camper weight is 7300# (probably a bit more real), you are again in spec.  With mainly weekend, local travel, you may not use all 1400# of cargo capacity.

Please keep reading and asking questions!

Given that your not travelling far you will be just fine long road trips you woukd find the truck may struggle and tire you out, but so long as thats all your doing - go enjoy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leblanc77
Back
Top Bottom