Our awning holds water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryandWink

We just purchased a new Jayco Precept motor home and it has an awning that stretches the full length of the coach.  We have set the awning on the lowest setting but if it rains.....it holds water to the point that it looks like it?s going to damage the awning.  On our previous motor home, we just manually dropped one corner of the awning and never had a problem.....we?ve tried to lower one corner of this new awning and it doesn?t help. 

If it's anything like mine, it can't be used in the rain. Or on a windy day.

Only calm days with no rain, or it stays rolled up.

A picture of the awning or the make and model may help. On mine, If rain should start to collect, one end will collapse allowing the water to run off.
Try this, with the awning extended, try pulling down on one end.

I really like the old manual awnings. They took some time to set up, but once they were set up correctly they were bulletproof. Never had a problem with water pooling or even wind, at least up to 30 mph. With the electric awnings, we only use it as a temporary sun shade in very light winds. Water pools, wind blows them around, and they are somhigh off the ground they don?t provide much protection anyway. Sigh. They are convenient though.

I completely agree....we never had any trouble with our old manual awning.  I do love the convenience of the electric awning, but it sort of defeats the purpose if you have to pack up your chairs and roll it in every time it starts to cloud up!  I was just hoping someone had an idea .....someone said to burn a little hole in it to help it drain, but I sort of hate to do that.  Thanks for responding!

Some awnings do suffer from that fault, either by [lack of] design or the style of installation.  One of the problems is that they are mounted high to clear slides, often coupled with a limited ability to angle downwards.  The better models, though, do as Rene described: they automatically drop an end if the water build-up is excessive.

Some modern electric awnings eliminate the "head-banger"  arm that in older models connects the outer end to lower side of the RV.  That's convenient, but usually results in a more horizontal deployment and sometimes a lack of the "auto-dump" capability.

LarryandWink said:
I completely agree....we never had any trouble with our old manual awning.  I do love the convenience of the electric awning, but it sort of defeats the purpose if you have to pack up your chairs and roll it in every time it starts to cloud up!  I was just hoping someone had an idea .....someone said to burn a little hole in it to help it drain, but I sort of hate to do that.  Thanks for responding!
We put our chairs under the living room slide to keep them out of the rain. They tuck there nicely along with the little metal folding table we have.

Interesting.... I had never heard of the awning that detects the water pooling and automatically lowers a corner.  I?ll remember that if we ever have to replace our current awning.

LarryandWink said:
Interesting.... I had never heard of the awning that detects the water pooling and automatically lowers a corner.  I?ll remember that if we ever have to replace our current awning.

Ours is like this. I want to say it's made by Solera but can't remember for sure. Each arm has a hinge of sorts that will bend when the weight of water gets to a certain point. You have to tighten the hinge bolt just right though. Mine has always worked pretty well but a friend's does not auto dump because he seems to like that bolt tighter for some reason.

You can also manually pull down on the hinge to lower either one or both sides.

Not sure if this works for yours but it does mine.  Hopefully the attached pic has a red circle on it.  Look at that location on your awning (rear or forward) and see if there is a small button you can press in.  Then pull the arm down and release the button at a max of 3 holes down.  That will drop the side.  Per our manual the awing can be stored without having to move it back up, however I normally will return it to the regular position.  Our awning is a newer Carefree that looks like the pic so I think it may work for you.

Attachments

• Precept awning.jpg
    Precept awning.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 56
Thank you for your reply!  This is exactly what we have.  My husband says that he has it on the lowest setting, but because the awning is so long that it still sags enough that it still holds water.  I?m starting to wonder if the awning is defective......maybe it isn?t as tight as it should be.  We will probably have the dealership check it out while it?s still under warranty. 

If he's got both ends on the lowest setting, that won't work.  What they are saying is, leave one end on the higher setting and lower only one end.  That way the water all runs to that end and won't pool.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom