Who to Believe?????????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ron56c

I have contacted RV dealer service departments with the question......'where does the shore power go first.....This is a 40 Diesel pusher, with converter/inverter & a big generator., transfer switch.  Everything works on generator.....no shore power.  I have checked the actual 50 amp cord and it checks out fine.    So begging the question.....two RV dealers told me it goes directly to the inverter and then feeds out of it......I don't believe this is correct.  My RV manual shows it going directly to the transfer switch and then feeds out of that device.....    which do you think is the right answer.  Obviously it would ease my search to know what leg to inspect.

The typical setup would be the shorepower cord going to the transfer switch first with the output feeding the converter/inverter regardless of the source.

As Dutch says, a DP with a generator will has an auto transfer switch which selects either genset or shore power and feeds it to the rest of the coach via the main load center (the "breaker box"). Most of the branch circuits will be fed through the inverter via a loop from the load center/charger, but that inverter loop is the same whether using shore or genset power. The inverter/charger has its own internal transfer switch to select either external (shore or genset) power or the inverter itself as the power source for the inverter/managed circuits.

If everything works  via the generator but not the shore cord, the most likely problem is that the auto transfer switch isn't switching. It is designed to give priority to the genset, selecting it whenever the genset is running and providing power. It should revert to using the shore power cord if the genset is not supplying 120v power.  So, either the shore source is not delivering 120v power or the auto-transfer isn't sensing it and activating the relays to switch to it.

Sad that RV techs lack in understanding of such a basic thing, but perhaps they misunderstood your question?  Many circuits do flow through the inverter, but that is still a secondary system and dependent on the main auto transfer switch and the coach electrical load center.

ron56c said:
I have contacted RV dealer service departments with the question......'where does the shore power go first.....This is a 40 Diesel pusher, with converter/inverter & a big generator., transfer switch.  Everything works on generator.....no shore power.  I have checked the actual 50 amp cord and it checks out fine.    So begging the question.....two RV dealers told me it goes directly to the inverter and then feeds out of it......I don't believe this is correct.  My RV manual shows it going directly to the transfer switch and then feeds out of that device.....    which do you think is the right answer.  Obviously it would ease my search to know what leg to inspect.
ron56c
On my '96 Safari, incoming 120VAC, (whether shore or generator power), goes first to the automatic transfer switch.

How can you say the power cord is good when you don't know where the other end goes?

If you find the auto transfer switch hit the case with a rubber hammer a couple of times. They sometimes stick. If that brings back power do not run out and replace the switch. See if continues working  or if mechanically inclined refurbish yours. IE contact cleaner, burnishing etc

Your transfer switch may also have surge suppression, like the TRC 41260.  It might be preventing sloppy power from coming in to your coach and nothing is wrong with your coach.  Look for the a couple of red lights on the transfer switch itself, or try a different pedestal.

Thanks to all for your response.    My next step will be to check out the transfer switch.  Going hunting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When asking such questions it is best to tell us the make model and year of the coach in question as there are often exceptions to these rules.

Tested the cord  disconnected from RV for continuity and as well as voltage.                checks OK

Presumably you have a removable cord so that you coud unplug and test?  That still leaves the wire from the coach-side receptacle to the transfer switch.  Odds are, though, that it is the switch itself.  Either,  a loose wire connection or a failed relay.

Year/make/model of coach info is always helpful in these inquiries.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom