Keystone Passport Elite Ultra-Light 31' JUNK!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckleybob

Bought a new Keystone Passport Ultra-Light 3 season ago.  Light use of about 10 weekends a year since.  Last visit to the lake the bump-out shuddered when opened and was crooked when out.  Did some checking and found a cable had come off the system, tried to put it back to no avail.  Cable alignment bushing broken, and the frame has a worn place in it from being out of line.  Scratch in the ceiling also.  Also had the outside shower handle break in half in my hands, it has only been used once each weekend to rinse off dishes.  Have also had to replace two thumb locks on the outside doors due to excessive corrosion.  Camper is covered with a full size cover from Late October until Mid April each year.  We had a 15 year old Coleman that NEVER had any issues.  Should have kept it and NOT bought the flimsy Keystone.  NOW I have to plan a 3 hour tow to a dealer for repairs that is only open during bankers hours.  The amount of inconvenience of having to deal with the dealer is bad enough, but buying a 31 foot NEW camper and have it start to fail at 3 years is ridiculous. 

I am curious ?
Did this come from the factory to the dealer and then to you ?
Or Did the dealer get it new at a show and then to you?

My first, (year before Last) Forest River was the worst lemon you could imagine, and it came from a show to the dealer and then to me. (supposedely a great buy)
My new one year old Forest River came custom ordered from the factory to the dealer and then to me and we were in it for six months last year with out one single problem or flaw.

Makes me wonder if junk is going to the shows !

Jack L

Since this is 3 years old, the warranty is long since expired and you are under no obligation to go back to the dealer.  Independent mobile RV techs are generally more reliable, better trained and much cheaper, not to mention convenience.  You may wish to look into this route.

It was on the dealer lot when we looked at a bunch and bought it.  We also bought a 10 year warranty insurance that I found out today there is a 50/50 chance that it will be covered.  Cable came off assembly and it tore a hole in the side skirt where the cable went through, and scratched the ceiling.  Not to mention the bump-out is crooked when out, I am supposed to take it to them Monday to see if it will be covered or not.  We will see what type of story they will give me.

Those extended warranties provide nowhere near the coverage of the original factory warranty and generally exclude any sort of structural or chassis problem.  Few buyers read the coverage clauses of the contract until something like this happens and then they feel ripped off. Caveat emptor and all that...  :(
I've always thought the cable-operated slide system was a Rube Goldberg mechanism at best, but it is common on lower-priced trailers where  the better hydraulic or rack & pinion mechanisms might prove too expensive.

Back
Top Bottom