About Dish TV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am pleased with the Pathway X2. Easy to set up and because it gets the eastern arc,  I can usually get satellite where the western arc is blocked by trees or buildings.  We don't record tv, so that's not important to us. The most difficult thing for me is dealing with the 3-legged platform (A separate option) to get it level.

ChasA said:
I am pleased with the Pathway X2. Easy to set up and because it gets the eastern arc,  I can usually get satellite where the western arc is blocked by trees or buildings.  We don't record tv, so that's not important to us. The most difficult thing for me is dealing with the 3-legged platform (A separate option) to get it level.

The Pathway only needs to be within 3 degrees of level, not dead on...

From what I have heard, read, and seen, the Travelller seems to be a great option, however, the difference on cost vs. the tailgater, makes it not worth my investment.  So far, for us, the tailgater has worked OK.  But I am only on my 1st relocation.  I will know better as we travel.  I just moved from Idaho to Utah, set the dome down, changed the state and while it took awhile, boom reception.  I am going to check the OTA search soon, have had no luck so far though.  Here I know the channels and direction.

NY_Dutch said:
From what I've seen in various parks, the Pathway X2 is definitely a better choice over the Tailgater. Personally, I use a manually aimed tripod mounted open face triple LNB dish that I can switch from one arc to the other for the best line of sight. None of the domes will work with our Dish Hoppers anyway, and the roof mounted Trav'ler type automatics are too limiting for the types of parks we prefer with lots of trees. My setup and aiming time is usually less than 15 minutes.

Just starting to get up to speed with the various Dish options & terminology. As I understand it, a Dish "Hopper" is the DVR component of a Dish Satellite TV system. And the Dish "Joey" is a device that can communicate with the Hopper? I'm thinking it's equivalent to the TiVo system we use at home where the TiVo Bolt is the DVR and the Tivo Minis are devices that can be added to access the content on the Bolt via an IP connection.

One absolute given in my search for a suitable Dish system is a DVR as I want to be able to record and watch at my convenience and I definitely do not ever want to watch all those dreadful commercials! I do like the option to be able to move the antenna around to find the best position so a tripod system would seem to be a good option there-- especially if none of the domes work with a Dish DVR?

jymbee said:
As I understand it, a Dish "Hopper" is the DVR component of a Dish Satellite TV system. And the Dish "Joey" is a device that can communicate with the Hopper?
Yep. TV programs can be scheduled for recording and played back using a Hopper or a Joey. A Hopper can be used all by itself, but Joeys cannot and need to be tied to a Hopper.

jymbee said:
One absolute given in my search for a suitable Dish system is a DVR as I want to be able to record and watch at my convenience and I definitely do not ever want to watch all those dreadful commercials!
Then you want a Hopper, in particular a Hopper 3. Also, Hoppers allow you to use the PTAT (Prime Time Any Time) feature to record all the prime time network TV shows (ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox). Finally, I believe most of the shows are recording using AutoHop which skips over all the commercials.

jymbee said:
I do like the option to be able to move the antenna around to find the best position so a tripod system would seem to be a good option there-- especially if none of the domes work with a Dish DVR?
Hoppers will only work with a rooftop Winegard Travler or an open-faced dish on a tripod.

general guide to Satellite antennas......

For any given band (And there are several) the bigger the REFLECTOR (The dish part of the antenna) the better the Reflector as it can gather more signal.  Kind of like a reflector telescope (not kind of. exactly like).

"Automatic" antennas. Domes. Cubes and I'm not sure what I'd call the Pathway's.. Tend to be smaller (The pathway X2 is the largest portable automatic far as I know) can see ONE bird at a time. (Bird = Sattalite) and DISH uses 3

A manual Tripod mounted DISH (or a roof mounted DISH) can have 3 LNB's so it sees all 3 birds at one time. WIth multi-program recording or multiple receivers you need to see all three.  Else you get conflicts.

When we had only one TV in our trailer, we used a portable Pathways antenna and a low level receiver. With the motorhome having multiple TVs, we ended up with a roof mounted traveler and two Wally receivers. I was disappointed to learn the ?record by name of program? system didn?t work with PBS, my prime recording source so we haven?t worried about a DVR. I do love the ease of the traveler antenna though it takes a lot of power when boondocking.

Great info, thanks! I'm fast becoming a Dish expert. Yeah, right...  ::)

Couple of additional questions:

Storage: assuming the open face/tripod turns out to be the best option, how does it break down for storage when traveling? I assume it all can fit in a larger storage bin under the coach?

Security: How much danger is there that a tripod mounted Dish would "wander off" in the middle of the night-- assuming it's left outside? Wouldn't want to have to take down and put back up for a multiple day stay for example? I think 99.999% of campers are trustworthy but of course it only takes one-- or perhaps a non-camper wandering through...

zulu said:
Yep. TV programs can be scheduled for recording and played back using a Hopper or a Joey. A Hopper can be used all by itself, but Joeys cannot and need to be tied to a Hopper.

Then you want a Hopper, in particular a Hopper 3. Also, Hoppers allow you to use the PTAT (Prime Time Any Time) feature to record all the prime time network TV shows (ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox). Finally, I believe most of the shows are recording using AutoHop which skips over all the commercials.

Hoppers will only work with a rooftop Winegard Travler or an open-faced dish on a tripod.

I modified our dish by replacing the assembly and adjustment hex nuts with large wing nuts for a no tools assembly and adjustment. For storage, I just remove the reflector from the LNB arm and mount, and of course remove the mount from the collapsible tripod.

I expect the expensive automatic dishes would be more of a theft target than common open face dishes, but I've not heard of either one being stolen in our extensive travels or on any of the RV forums.

Attachments

• 2018-01-26 13.34.47.jpg
    2018-01-26 13.34.47.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 14
jymbee said:
Storage: assuming the open face/tripod turns out to be the best option, how does it break down for storage when traveling? I assume it all can fit in a larger storage bin under the coach?
Depends on how big your storage bin is.

I suggest you get a 1000.2 dish with a folding LNB arm:
- https://www.tv4rv.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=95
- https://www.tv4rv.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=100

Plus, buy a quality tripod:
- https://www.tv4rv.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=7

jymbee said:
Security: How much danger is there that a tripod mounted Dish would "wander off" in the middle of the night-- assuming it's left outside?
Been setting up tripods for several years . . . none stolen yet.

There's more of a risk of someone bumping into it or worse, the wind blowing it over. I use a 5-gallon plastic gas can filled with water (about 40 pounds). I used to use a 5-gallon bucket, but they don't hold up . . . the plastic holding the handle breaks in time:

https://rvseniormoments.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/dish-on-tripod.jpg

I use either a partially filled 5-gallon bucket of water (NAPA stores are always giving buckets away) or two screw in "dog ties" to anchor our tripod depending on the terrain and weather conditions. The dog ties have held the dish in place in 60 MPH wind gusts without losing the signal.

The open dishes get left behind in so many places, I don't see why anyone would ever need to steal one.  I prefer a roof mount, right now have a tailgater, but getting the roof mount for it,  Has a quick release so I can relocate if needed.

So far been using a small folding table, I have been concerned about tipping, but so far so good, not much wind.

PancakeBill said:
The open dishes get left behind in so many places, I don't see why anyone would ever need to steal one.  I prefer a roof mount, right now have a tailgater, but getting the roof mount for it,  Has a quick release so I can relocate if needed.

So far been using a small folding table, I have been concerned about tipping, but so far so good, not much wind.

That's a good point re. all the open dishes around. In a way if security was a concern I'd think the open dishes would be less attractive targets then the self-contained domes. Not a lot of technology in just a dish.

NY_Dutch said:
I modified our dish by replacing the assembly and adjustment hex nuts with large wing nuts for a no tools assembly and adjustment. For storage, I just remove the reflector from the LNB arm and mount, and of course remove the mount from the collapsible tripod.

I expect the expensive automatic dishes would be more of a theft target than common open face dishes, but I've not heard of either one being stolen in our extensive travels or on any of the RV forums.

Hmmm... I somehow missed this earlier response. Good idea re. the wing nuts for disassembly.

Getting ready to call Dish. I seem to remember reading somewhere that one can't get the same equipment (DVR) for an RV that you can get for a home system?

jymbee said:
Hmmm... I somehow missed this earlier response. Good idea re. the wing nuts for disassembly.

Getting ready to call Dish. I seem to remember reading somewhere that one can't get the same equipment (DVR) for an RV that you can get for a home system?

It?s been a couple years since we got ours, but I think it?s still the same. If you want a Hopper 3 you will have to purchase one yourself unless you have a residential account to get one on then put it in your RV. Dish says the Hopper 3 can?t be used in an RV which of course we know is wrong. But they will not lease one for use in an RV.

Vicki

jymbee said:

You can have exactly the same equipment in an RV as in a home. Dish may tell you they don't support installing any of the DVR models in RV's, but that only means they won't install one in an RV, not that you or an independent retailer can't. I suggest buying your equipment from an independent dealer like Solid Signal or even through Amazon rather than pay Dish's higher prices. For an "Outdoor" pay-as-you-go account, I suggest going through Dish4MyRV.com. They'll directly connect you to the right people at Dish that know what they're doing. Calling Dish customer service directly can be a crap shoot for RV issues. Dish4MyRV also has some reasonably priced package deals on equipment, if you want to go that route.

shorts said:
Dish says the Hopper 3 can?t be used in an RV which of course we know is wrong. But they will not lease one for use in an RV.

Mine is leased. Before buying one, try contacting a local DISH TV installer.

NY_Dutch said:
You can have exactly the same equipment in an RV as in a home. Dish may tell you they don't support installing any of the DVR models in RV's, but that only means they won't install one in an RV, not that you or an independent retailer can't. I suggest buying your equipment from an independent dealer like Solid Signal or even through Amazon rather than pay Dish's higher prices. For an "Outdoor" pay-as-you-go account, I suggest going through Dish4MyRV.com. They'll directly connect you to the right people at Dish that know what they're doing. Calling Dish customer service directly can be a crap shoot for RV issues. Dish4MyRV also has some reasonably priced package deals on equipment, if you want to go that route.

Great-- know what you mean by 1st level customer "support" and would definitely prefer not to even have to deal with that. I'll check out the links. Thanks again.

Be aware... When Dan contacted https://www.dishformyrv.com/ they also said Dish did not support Hopper in motorhomes, only the Wally.  It may depend on who you talk to but they may only be able to recommend an installer etc..  Their web site only shows the Wally.

Please let us know how you fair,
Jennifer

ferfer said:
Be aware... When Dan contacted https://www.dishformyrv.com/ they also said Dish did not support Hopper in motorhomes, only the Wally.

There are many RVers with Hoppers. One more time . . . DON'T CONTACT DISH FOR AN RV HOPPER INSTALL.

- If you're part timing (ie, you own a house), have DISH install the Hopper in your house. Then move it to your RV when you travel.
- If you're full timing (ie, no house), contact a local DISH installer to put a Hopper in your RV. You may have to contact several installers.

I full time and my first Hopper was installed in 2012. I upgraded to three Hopper with Slings a few years later. Finally, I had Hopper 3 installed in 2016. I used local sat installers in all cases.

Back
Top Bottom