Inverter Charger replacement Remote

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sailorkane

My Freedom 1500 finally bit the dust.  Replacing it with another Inverter/Charger.  This one uses an 8-wire cat5 cable for the remote.  The existing Xantrex wire is an RJ12 (6-pin telephone plug) on a 6-wire cable.  Unfortunately, the new I/C  uses 7 of the 8 cat5 wires.  So I clearly will lose something if I try to use the existing 6-conductor wire.  And it would be a pain to reconfigure the pins as well.

Has anyone replaced their Inverter-Charger and run a new remote wire from the I/C bay  to the center load center on the Winnebago Journey?  It looks daunting, but maybe not...

Trying to decide between running a new wire and reconfiguring the old 6-conductor wire...  Neither is attractive...

Thanks, Chris.  Your layout is similar to mine.  So, to net it out, you ran the cat5 from oneplace, through the coach to under the bed aft, then under the coach to the inverter?

Sailorkane said:
Thanks, Chris.  Your layout is similar to mine.  So, to net it out, you ran the cat5 from oneplace, through the coach to under the bed aft, then under the coach to the inverter?
Yes, that's pretty much it.  In my case there was the access hole through the floor under/inside of the water heater (to the left of the vacuum--see pics).  The outside electrical compartment with the inverter/charger is just to the rear of the water heater & washer/dryer, under the corner of the bed.  I tried using the old dimension cable to pull the new cable through, but it wouldn't budge (did work for the temp sensor to the battery, however).

I had to run Cat5 from my electrical bay to the OnePlace panel when I replaced the stock Dimented inverter with a Xantrex RS2000. It was a total PITA the way I ran it. Should have come up under the bed and then through cabinetry (sink/shower area) to the bottom of the OnePlace.

I am not familiar with your unit, but I just installed an inverter in my MH, and from this experience I can tell you that between the little holes in walls, cabinets, and floors and tie wraps that using the old cable to pull an new one using the old is impossible.  The same goes for coax, to many hang up points and cable ties.

Back
Top Bottom