GPS SD Card

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChrisAlan

I have searched the forum and not found what I am looking for. It could be my lack of search skill, so I hope this is not and over asked question. We have a 2014 Itasca Navion IQ with a dashboard Rand McNally GPS. I went to update my maps and found I need a bigger SD card. RM wants $225 for a new card which seems like a ridiculous price. I have a blank 16gb card and need to know how to get my gps to read it. I copied all the data from the original 4gb card and then did the update with the RM docking software, all seemed to work, but the GPS unit is being finicky and won't read the update. Any suggestions, Thanks

Perhaps if you reformatted the 16gb card before using it?  Ideally, reformatted in the RM unit, if there is a menu item that permits this . . .

You might try cloning the SD card. I think the 'free' version of EaseUS ToDo Backup Home will clone if you can't find anything else. If you do clone, cloning will only make your new larger SD card look identical to the old SD card, including the size. So, after cloning, you will need to extend the partition to the full SD size. You should be able to do that with Windows 10 disk manager.

Do you know what model of RM GPS is included in the Winnebago package (which I believe is a bundle from Xcite Solutions)?  RM has different instructions depending whether it is based on the RV Tablet or the RM RV GPS.

The suggestion to format the SD card before copying the update files is a good first step. 

If it's just an update then format but in some cases if the upgrades is fee based you might be required to buy their card as it may have some kind of write/copy protection hence the 225.00 price.

OK, I finally got a card to work and update.
Steps:
#1 I cloned the OEM 4gb card on to a new 16gb card.
#2 Expanded the active partition from 4gb to 16gb
#3 registered the new card with the Rand McNally dock app.
#4 ran the map update
#5 updated the gps with the card and success !!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom