Replace microwave with over the range convection combo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rollingblunder

Has any one replaced their over range microwave. We are contemplating going to a combp convection oven/ micro. The dimensions are similar so we are hoping the installation can be similar as well (placing support items, ducts, etc.). Are we missing anything that would make the job difficult?

Thanks in advance.

I haven't upgraded as you're considering but I have replaced a couple convection microwaves. The install is straightforward but you will have to consider how you will securely attach the mounting plate to the wall - I used the coarse-thread screw-in mollies.

Also, the convection microwaves are very heavy and you have to lean in over the stove to mount it, therefore a two person job.

I've removed my convection microwave for repair work and as Back2PA mentioned...have two people there to hold it!!

I'd suggest removing the existing microwave first before you buy a new one. That way you can see how it's mounted and try to get one with a similar mounting arrangement.

My Monaco had bolts going through the top of the microwave. However to find them I had to remove the flooring of the cabinet overtop of it. The floor was STAPLED in.  Needless to say the floor now has removable screws.

Arch Hoagland said:
My Monaco had bolts going through the top of the microwave. However to find them I had to remove the flooring of the cabinet overtop of it. The floor was STAPLED in.  Needless to say the floor now has removable screws.

Same with my Dutch Star, very irritating  :mad:

Thanks - since the unit is fairly new (2017) I can dig up the installation manual on the existing microwave and compare it to the installation manual of the combination microwave/ convection oven we are considering. Thanks for the quick replies!

Convection micro often have a higher amp demand and typically require a dedicated 20A circuit.  They also tend to be physically large units, simply because that's the target market.  As long as you can find one that fits and can be matched to your venting arrangement, go for it. Most convection micros have built in vents (they vent into the room), but a few models are set up for external venting.

Checked installation manuals for existing Micro and the convection combo we want to install. everything seems compatible.
However, inspecting the existing to figure out removal, the top screws or bolts are not evident. The micro is installed over range, but it is on a slide out. The top of the unit is against the roof of the slideout. I retracted enough to view, but the access (or any evidence as to where they might be) to the top screws cannot be found. There must be some way to get to connection????? The unit surely has to be removable. I'm frustrated again. if anyone can suggest how the unit might be attached it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Year make and model RV would help.

Brand and Model of existing microwave would help too. 

How to make a signature for your RV so we can serve you better.

1. Click "Profile" button towards the top of the screen.

2. Scroll down a ways and select "Modify Profile"

3. Select Forum Profile

4. Fill it out and click on "Change profile".

I had my Dometic microwave replaced with a Samsung convection.  The critical measurement was the width.  If the width is proper, you should be OK.  Mounting was different on the Samsung, but not a big issue.  Two people doing the work would be my recommendation.  My wife really loves the Samsung.  Power was not an issue as the Domentc had a dedicated circuit. 

Hello -
the sizes are compatible but my problem is the clearance between top of micro wave to slide out roof. There is a 1 1/4"clearance and according to the schematic from the rv manufacturer the top screws are 1 3/4" to the mounting. Since I wouldn't have the proper tools to remove -exasperated I simply showed an rv tech and was assured they could do it for a fairly reasonable price. I love doing things myself but this time I will let the "experts " do it. Thanks for all the replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sinbad
Back
Top Bottom