Protect-a-tow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Utclmjmpr

What problems (if any) have you had with your Protect-a-tow system,, are you restricted in the turning radius>>,,It looks like an ideal set up for my use.>>>Dan

Problems with Protect-a tow, none. As I mentioned on another similar subject, just don't let your wife bother you when you are hooking it and the towing gear up. You need to focus.

Bill

I was not able to  use a protect-a-tow on my '07 40' American Tradition. The tailpipe exhausts right on top of the fabric and that would melt a hole in it in short order. I suppose a work around is possible by redirecting the exhaust but I chose not to. I removed the vanity mud flap, the big one that extends the width of the coach and have had not one nick on the toad towing it for 15,000 miles. We're headed to Alaska next year, I plan to use the plastic wrap they sell for protecting cars when we do. 

Long ago I changed the rear exhaust pipe to eliminate the exhaust on the towed. it now curves 90 degrees to extend outboard of the right side of the coach and horizontal with the ground. Been working great since.>>>D

Sounds like you're all set up for the protect a tow. I was worried about my toad but as I mentioned I removed the vanity mud flap and have had no problems. I don't know if removing the mud flap has had any effect, it was recommended by some on this forum, but our toad has not gotten any dings. I'm glad now I didn't install a protect a tow, not only because the toad has been OK, but also because the protect a tow is just one more thing to deal with, and stow.

We stow our Protect-A-Tow by simply disconnecting the two clips at the toad, unhooking the center support rod, and rolling the PAT and rod up under the rear bumper, securing it with two small bungee cords. Takes about a minute, as does hooking it back up. Using the PAT, besides no more dings, we've found the toad and rear of the coach both stay cleaner.

I don't travel without my towed, so I intend to copy your method and install permanently the two bungees for this purpose.>>>Dan

Back
Top Bottom