Austin, TX mid-winter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

Our pending southern travels expect to find us in the the Austin, TX area sometime around mid-February and we would like to find a nice site for our Class A. Especially interested in taking in the music scene in the city with friends who live in that area that have volunteered to show us around. They live some distance South of Austin so anything in that general are would be fine. Just the 4 of us-- counting our dog & cat! Any/all suggestions appreciated!

You might find this link at the top of our forum helpful

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/?utm_source=rvforum.net&campaign=banner

RV Parks near Austin are very pricey and the prices go up every year.  The closer you are to Austin the more it will cost.  If you have friends in the area some distance south of Austin stay near them.  The father you get from Austin the better the price will be.  This is the middle of snow bird season.
We spend minimum 2-3+ months per year near Austin (family).

Austin Lone Star:  Right off I-35, hard to get into.  Have you made reservations yet if not due so right away. Pricey. I have never been able to get into this park.
LongHorn: Near the toll road.  New park quiet and good owners,  Lots of monthly renters, but not long terms, getting hard to get into and pricey. Was $250 a week when we stayed in May.
Plum Creek:  Don't bother run down right off the highway with lots of permanent residents.
Mckinnay Falls:  If you can get in, nice.  Not sure if they have maximum stay or not.
Pecan Park (San Marcos)  Used to be our go to park.  Has had 2 flooding incidents in last 5 years.  We barely got out the morning the morning of the first one.  Price has gone up for a month stay from $360 to around $900 when I checked in May.  Be ready to bug out if it rains upstream of the Blanco river.  Flooding happens fast there.
Green Acres (Wimberly) Liked this small 17 spot park.  The Lady sold it to new owners and the son runs the place.  He got tired of checking people in and out and shifted the park to all full time permanent residents.

We have not stayed in any but are starting to look at the parks near New Braunfels.  Good half way distance from the sites in Austin or San Antonio.  The problem starts to become price of your stay verses drive times for being further out.  Austin traffic is horrendous.  I will not be caught north of Slaughter after 4 PM weekdays.

PM me if you have other questions.

Great-- thanks much for the detailed recommendations. Our friends are in Wimberly so that might be a possibility.

Bobtop46 said:
RV Parks near Austin are very pricey and the prices go up every year.  The closer you are to Austin the more it will cost.  If you have friends in the area some distance south of Austin stay near them.  The father you get from Austin the better the price will be.  This is the middle of snow bird season.
We spend minimum 2-3+ months per year near Austin (family).

Austin Lone Star:  Right off I-35, hard to get into.  Have you made reservations yet if not due so right away. Pricey. I have never been able to get into this park.
LongHorn: Near the toll road.  New park quiet and good owners,  Lots of monthly renters, but not long terms, getting hard to get into and pricey. Was $250 a week when we stayed in May.
Plum Creek:  Don't bother run down right off the highway with lots of permanent residents.
Mckinnay Falls:  If you can get in, nice.  Not sure if they have maximum stay or not.
Pecan Park (San Marcos)  Used to be our go to park.  Has had 2 flooding incidents in last 5 years.  We barely got out the morning the morning of the first one.  Price has gone up for a month stay from $360 to around $900 when I checked in May.  Be ready to bug out if it rains upstream of the Blanco river.  Flooding happens fast there.
Green Acres (Wimberly) Liked this small 17 spot park.  The Lady sold it to new owners and the son runs the place.  He got tired of checking people in and out and shifted the park to all full time permanent residents.

We have not stayed in any but are starting to look at the parks near New Braunfels.  Good half way distance from the sites in Austin or San Antonio.  The problem starts to become price of your stay verses drive times for being further out.  Austin traffic is horrendous.  I will not be caught north of Slaughter after 4 PM weekdays.

PM me if you have other questions.

There is always issues with flooding in the hill country after heavy rains, water is slow to soak into the ground in much of the area making flash floods a common problem.  To add to this many of the RV parks in the area are along popular tubing and float trip rivers.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom