Alaskan Camper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeKan

Hey all, I finally purchased a camper and it is a 1970s High/Low pickup Camper. It is not over the cab style and it's 8 ft long. The PO said it weighs around 1000 lbs. which will work fine with my 1/2 ton Silverado. Since the camper is 8 ft. long and my truck is 6.5 ft long I will have to keep the tailgate down. I'm okay with this. My question is how do I secure/strap it down?? It does not have any hooks or tie down brackets.
Any ideas on what to do? I'm going to pick it up on Saturday and I think I'm going to throw some straps around it and secure it to my bed hooks.
Thanks,
Joe

I think you will find it weighs somewhat more, those things are heavy. Can you scale it on the way home? Be prepared for rear squat and maybe sway. How did the PO fasten it down? It should have brackets on the corners or holes where they were originally fastened.

I'd call the Alaskan factory and ask them.  I hear they are nice, helpful people.

You will also find an active Alaskan Camper sub-forum over on the Wander The West site.  Just Google it.

I have had two Alaskan campers.

My Alaskan campers were bolted to the truck bed with bolts through the camper floor with large heavy duty fender washers.

If you are putting an eight foot Alaskan in a 6.5 foot bed you will probably find the CG of the Alaskan will be behind your rear axle which will take weight off of the front axle which could cause handling problems.

My 8 ft cabover Alaskan was about 1500 lbs.

lavarock, Were there factor made holes in the camper?? This unit weighs under 1000 lbs so shouldn't be a problem with my 1/2 ton.
Thanks,.
Joe

Dad's first camper had holes in the floor, he used carriage bolts and fender washers to fasten it to the box. The second had j-hooks on the box wall. He never had problems but I realize now both systems were woefully inadequate with a heavy camper. I suggest fabbing some good brackets, bolting them to the corners and tie to frame mounted outriggers with chain and turnbuckles.

How do you get it in and out of the truck? I don't see any legs that you'd typically find in a truck camper.

Rene T said:
How do you get it in and out of the truck? I don't see any legs that you'd typically find in a truck camper.

I used two jacks similar to these. But when I got the cabover Alaskan I used three jacks two on one side and one on the other.

https://www.etrailer.com/Camper-Jack/Brophy/CJ31.html?msclkid=592de3d89e5a1e48c301b81a987bba05&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shop%20-%20Camper%20Jack&utm_term=4577679224483501&utm_content=Camper%20Jack   

A little scary when on the jacks and do not do it if outside with any wind.

Those jacks are actually pretty stable due to the tripod footprint on the ground and the large support rails carrying the camper.

What can be scary are unipole jacks bolted to each corner of the camper.  They're like balancing the camper on stiletto heels, and all of the twisting force if you bump the camper is carried by the brackets connecting the jacks to the camper.  The strength of the connection relies entirely on the strength of the corner and the underlying blocking the jacks attach to, and whether the underlying wood is intact or has been degraded by moisture, etc.

Well here she is! Made it home w/o any problem at all and it actually rode very nicely. It has a little wood rot in the back corner and not sure what I can do about that. But overall, I am very pleased and blessed that I got a home when I have to go out of town and work next month. I spent most of the day cleaning her up on the inside and it is almost immaculate.
When I brought her home I didn't bolt her down because I had to put cinder blocks under it because it was resting on my side rails. I'm going have to figure a way to build up the base of it. Any ideas?
In the future, I do plan to bolt it down btw.
Thanks for all the help,
Joe
Sorry, have a hard time posting pictures.

JoeKan said:
Well here she is! Made it home w/o any problem at all and it actually rode very nicely. It has a little wood rot in the back corner and not sure what I can do about that. But overall, I am very pleased and blessed that I got a home when I have to go out of town and work next month. I spent most of the day cleaning her up on the inside and it is almost immaculate.
When I brought her home I didn't bolt her down because I had to put cinder blocks under it because it was resting on my side rails. I'm going have to figure a way to build up the base of it. Any ideas?
In the future, I do plan to bolt it down btw. D
Thanks for all the help,
Joe
Sorry, have a hard time posting pictures.

How much will it need to be raised?

Pickup side rails are now higher than in the 70's.  I would use a 2x6 and some plywood to raise it, but be careful if the floor is that old, it may sag, in that case use 3 sets to support.

When you make the base to raise the camper I would recommend redwood for the 2x6 and have them in contact with bed of truck.  Then outdoor type plywood on top of the 2x6.  Use several 2x6 going the length of the bed about 12 inches apart so that any water that may get in the bed under the camper can drain out anytime the front of the truck is higher than the rear.

JoeKan said:
Thanks! I was wondering how to make the base.

They don't necessarily have to run from front to back for drainage. Most truck beds already have the ridges to allow the water to drain. You can run the boards from side to side IMHO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom