Parked for several months at a time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marshall212

Good Morning,

We are camp hosts and spend our winter months in a warm area hosting. This year our motor home (Cummins 5.9 ISL) will be parked at a site for 3 to 4 months. I have filled the fuel tank but was wondering about any fuel additives when parked this long. How about DEF should it be filled to complete full? Any additives for it? We exercise the genset every 11 days - auto gen start. We have our tires covered and a wax was done several days ago. Have I missed anything?

TIA

Keeping the tanks full reduces moisture from condensation, so is a Good Thing.

In a warm humid climate I might add a biocide to the diesel fuel just to be sure no algae grows, but that is just extra insurance. Diesel algae is not typically a problem during the winter months anyway. A diesel biocide product would be something like Biobor JF or Killem.

I know of no treatment needed or available for DEF.  It isn't fuel and never gets inside your engine. It has a shelf life of about 2 years, so it should be fine unless it was already old when you bought it.

Will your motorhome be plugged in at that site? Even at 3-4 months it would be a good idea to plug in for the sake of the batteries.

Bill

Add some Biobor-JF to prevent algae. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014434DG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also if it's going to get really cold anti-gel wouldn't hurt.

If your MH doesn't charge the starter battery when plugged in a charger/maintainer would be good.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom